Donnerstag, 29. Dezember 2016

Long time no see and I will start with a failure - rice crackers

Today I tried to make rice crackers from scratch. Since visiting Japan I long for those rice crackers. In Japanese they are called Senbei. I will visit Japan again in April but this will take a while. so it had to be done now.

I searched the web for recipes and most of them were not to my liking. They called for sticky rice flour. I thought rice crackers were made of mochi, just steamed and pounded sticky rice. So I did it my way:
First I washed glutenous rice and soaked the rice covered with water (double amount, ratio rice to water 1:2) for 12 hours and this is what I got afterwards:



washed and soaked rice

I washed and sieved the rice again and steamed the rice, wrapped in cotton cloth, in a steamer for about 25 minutes over boiling water.

soaked, washed and sieved rice
The steamed rice looked totally fine, shiny, glossy and a single rice grain could be squeezed between two fingers  easily.
steamed sticky rice
I put the rice in my Kenwood chef kitchen engine. First turned to a low speed, after one minute to medium speed and let it run for about 6 more minutes until turning it to low again. All in all I let it run for 10 minutes.

first slow round in the kitchen engine

I received some chewy sticky mochi. The mochi turned out a little bit firmer than the flour made mochi I used several times before for waggishi.

I used some sesame oil to wet my hands and turned the mochi into a log which I placed on a baking tray covered with some corn starch.
Mochi - yummy

I sliced the log into several disks (with an oiled knife), turned out totally uneven because the mochi was sticky, soft and elastic. I stretched them out like little pizzas...

Mochi disks

And let the disks dry for 20 minutes. Afterwards I placed each disk between plastic sheets and used a marble rolling pin to roll them out into really thin (nearly see through) flat bigger disks. With a round cookie cutter I cut them more evenly.

shaped mochi disks

I let them rest 20 more minutes because some recipes called for dried mochi.. however.
Up to the baking. I did not use charcoal fire for grilling - would have been nice but it is nearly freezing outside. Just turned my oven at 190 C . First I baked the mochi disks on a silicon sheet for 10 minutes on one side, flipped them over and backed for another 10 minutes.

They puffed up like little balloons. I basted the balloons with a mixture of bonito soy sauce and mirin (ration 1:2). They went a little bit softer and terrible sticky so I baked the little balloons for two minutes longer.

baked mochi balloons

Yes they kept their shape. I longed for flat senbei and got crispy balloons:

see just big bags full of nothing but air

Big holes with some / little crispy dough around. Big failure. Sprinkled a bit of nori. Did not help that much. They are edible but not to my liking.


1 Kommentar:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, I've never thought of making senbei from scratch!

Actually, there are two types of rice crackers, arare/okaki あられ/おかき and senbei せんべい, and the former is made from mochi rice and the latter is made from regular rice.

To make senbei, you need to dry the disks well enough.

This video may be of some help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNa9MOmj7E
The disks are dried in a machine for half a day. Without such a machine, you will need to dry them in the sun for 2-3 days, I suppose.

I have made senbei-like snacks using leftover cooked rice. The recipe is quite simple.

Videos such as the following will be of some help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFe2LTswIGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZh4ZdVMvJA

I hope you can satisfy your thirst for senbei by making your second attempt!