Montag, 6. Oktober 2014

Rose Jelly

Sunday I cut a few roses in full bloom. I decided to prepare some rose jelly because I recently found a bottle of sparkling wine in the basement, long forgotten, not the best to have a drink after all, but still useful.

Sadly the light is not that bright, so you don't see the pinkish colour..

For the jelly I soaked the plugged rose blossom leaves of 12 roses (most of them french perfume roses/damask roses) in a glass jar, added 750 ml aged sparkling wine and placed the jar in a window (jar covered with cling film) to let the sun do the work. After one night (all in all 24 hours) I sieved the wine through a fine mashed strainer, messured, added the same amount jelling sugar and boiled the jelly for 4 minutes. Just enough rose jelly to fill 5 smaller jars with the lovely jelly. The kitchen smelled of tons of roses and a late night bar.
This jelly tastes wonderful on brioche, slightly toasted and buttered. Husband cleared halve a jar in one day.
Roses I used too besides the damask roses:

Don't use store bought roses to prepare the jelly. They are often treated with harmful chemicals as fungicides or pesticides. I don't use those chemicals in my garden so no harm can be done. Most of the time I will use ecofriendly stuff only to prevent rose deseases. For example mixtures of baking powder, rapeseed oil, water and soap or buttermilk, home made fermented nettle extract and such.



1 Kommentar:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have always found rose preserves very magical and exquisite because such a big amount of petals is needed to make them. Your jelly looks delicious. I have only had rose jam which in Poland is used in good quality bakeries in doughnuts as a filling.