Mittwoch, 13. August 2014

My journey to france

I made a nice trip to france. This time I visited the Loire valley. Never been there before, but as a friend and admirer of gardening and history this was something I always wanted to do: See lots of historic sites and historic gardens and eat well.
The region around Tours is pretty perfect for those kinds of interests.
It was a little bit exhausting because we started each day at 8:30 a.m and returned around 7:30 p.m. We were visting castles, gardens, museums, vineyards, market places, cathedrals, monestaries and so on.
We even ate at a convent (St.Martin, Tours) where nuns prepared us a perfect french meal, best dinner we had on our journey, starting with fresh melon and wine soaked raisins, pork stewed with olives and a rice bowl with egg plant and summer squash (baked with cheese). Delicious home cooking. The other dinners were good too with several kind of different stews, cheese plates, salads and desserts. But this one was special.
As for castles for example: we visited Villandry a famous castle and garden. What made the difference, most of the ornamental plants were vegetables, amazingly beautiful.



On our journey we had some picknicks too, betweem visiting castles or cathedrals and walking around a lot:
We visited a mushroom farm and had a mushrooms taste testing: Mushrooms were raised in caves in the hills..

We also visited a vineyard and had a taste testing on sparkling wine after we visited the winery.
Been to the castle Chenonceau too - I especially liked the gardens - here the vegetable/kitchen garden
And the kitchen of the castle - whereas the castle was a beauty on its own, it is rare to find a good historical kitchen, see the rotation unit for the grill, Iwas so exited...





We visited Blois (yes I have seen the house of magic and the castle) but here is Leonardo da Vinci's garden located besides his latest home!!! Now this is something. There was a really interesting exhibiton on Renaissance garden architecture at Blois castle at the moment which I visited too:
I also highly recommend to visit the Leonardo da Vinci exhibition at the parc. They did rebuild lots of his inventions.
We also visited the castle Chambord, this is the garden area with some garden houses - not the castle. I liked the combination of flowers, herbs and vegetables. And I saw the feeding of the pack of hounds which is very famous. Never seen so many dog buttocks before..

This is a market hall, one of many we have seen - I think it was in Chatres. Bought cheese, olives and dried fruits.
All in all along my journey I bought local specialities like rosé wine, orange cookies, creme caramel with fleur the sel, goat cheese, chocolates, macarons, an apron in Paris and I even ate boudin noir, fresh soft black blood pudding and I liked it. Next time I will do this journey along the Loire by bicycle. I think it is much better for my hips.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You seem to have made a wonderful trip to France! The mushroom farm looks very interesting!
(Short comment before leaving for a trip to visit my parents.)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Have a nice Obon trip!