Sonntag, 1. Juni 2014

Pumpkin buns

Today I decided to get rid of the butternut squash lazing around in my kitchen since several weeks. It was a rather small one and because I waited to long to cook the vegetable, this guy was really hard to peel but therefore flesh was deep orange and sweet. I wanted to make some semi-sweet buns filled with pumpkin puree (good either steamed or baked or deep-fried):

buns


bun with sweet pumpkin mash filling


For the puree:
I steamed the squash/pumpkin flesh, cut into smaller chunks, without any additional liquid but covered, in the microwave for about 6 minutes and mashed it afterwards.
Mixed with 2 tablespoon sugar I heated the mash up in a saucepan and stirred on high heat to let some more of the moisture evaporate. After a few minutes the pumpkin mash was dry enough to be used for filling.

I prepared a dough:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk, lowfat, lukewarm
1 large egg, room temperature
3 tablespoons butter, soft
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 small tablespoon instant yeast

Eggwash

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon soy sauce
sesame seeds

For the dough I filled all ingredients into the mixing bowl of my kitchen engine and let it run for about 8 minutes on medium speed.
Afterwards the dough had to rest and rise in the bowl until doubled in size, covered by a damp towel for about 1 hour. I stretched the dough on a flour dusted baking board and folded it 4 times, rolled it into 2 long  rolls and divided each roll into 12 slices/pieces. Each piece I formed into a disc, smaller as my palm.

I greased two silicon muffin moulds with a little butter, each comes with 6 small moulds and placed 1 disc of dough into each. While covering the bottom of a mould the dough has also to build a small rim - just like a small cup. I filled 1 heaped teaspoon pumpkin puree into each dough cup and covered with a second disc of dough while pinching down the edges to close the buns. Than I pinched the upper dough layer with a fork for a few times. The buns can also be formed free-hand by using a larger disc of dough instead of two, while pinching the edges over the filling. The dough is soft and so is the filling so this way is more kind of playing on the safe side...

I let the buns rise until doubled in size, brushed the egg wash on top and sprinkled on sesame seeds. The buns were baked at 180 degree Celsius for about 20 minutes (+/-) until well browned.

The buns are best to be eaten lukewarm. Don't eat them hot or the pumkin mash will burn your mouth...

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Sounds more like Japanese an pan than traditional German bread.
Such types of buns are also very popular in Germany?

Using two discs of dough sounds like a clever idea!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Very interesting and what a lovely yellow colour! I have never seen a pumpkin filling in any buns.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I had a japanese pan in mind. The whole recipe is based on my own ideas so it is not a traditional german treat, though german :-)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I had a japanese pan in mind. The whole recipe is based on my own ideas so it is not a traditional german treat, though german :-)