Sonntag, 29. Juni 2014

Miso katsu

Today I prepared some crisp breaded cutlets. I decided to make two japanese style and the others are for husband to be eaten the next two days because I will be away on a work related journey. Therefore I cooked an italian sugo too, made of diced eggplant, chopped fennel, onion, garlic and tomatoes. He can have this with some pasta.

But today it is miso katsu. Instead of the sweet worcester sauce based BBQ sauce, the miso sauce is made with dark red miso. This style originated in Nagoya - read about it sometime ago. I like miso a lot and am addicted to the rich and deep flavor - perfect for me. Husband - at first look - thought it would be some kind of hot mexican chocolate based sauce and got quite excited but what surprise, no mexican food today... I will keep this in mind and prepare mexican chicken next weekend - with real chocolate sauce...

Miso kastu
I shredded half of a small white cabbage, rinsed in cold water and set aside in a sieve.
I breaded 5 cutlets (thin cut pork chops without bones):
  • dusted the meat with some flour
  • dipped in 1 beaten egg mixed with some salt and pepper
  • dipped in bread crumbs
  • deep-fried in oil until crunchy golden-brown.
  • deep-fried some trimmed spring onions too
For miso sauce I stirred:
  • 3 tablespoons red miso
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon sake
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon mirin
  • 1 tablespoon soysauce
and heated it up gently.
Steamed some rice too. The cutlets were cut into pieces and simply placed over cabbage, rice as sides.

Yesterday the weather was much nicer and we had a salad made of some mustard greens, young chard leaves and lettuce out of my garden, indian onion, some tomatoes and fried salmon. For salad leaves I bought some bargain seed tape for just 1.79 Euro (and I only used half of the tape). We had lots of salads since late spring and the plants are still doing well in my raised bed.
The salmon was salted a few hours before, patted dry and the meat side rubbed with coarse mustard, sugar, some soysauce and simply fried in a non-stick pan. First at the skin side afterwards only for a short time at the mustard side.
Salad dressing was balsamic vinegar, french hot mustard, honey and olive oil, salt, pepper:

Salmon salad

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Sorry for your husband.
By red miso, you mean aka miso 赤みそ? I haven't had authentic miso katsu in Nagoya, but I think the sauce is made with haccho miso 八丁みそ, made from soybeans only (I mean, no rice or barley). Your red miso sauce sounds more agreeable to me, because I don't care for haccho miso because its intense flavor.

You are doing very well with your vegetable gardening! I have to talk about mine, too, especially about my two failures.

Sissi hat gesagt…

It sounds like a delicious sauce. I'm also a miso addict and often add it to stir-fries, even to non-Japanese dishes. It's like a healthy miracle seasoning for me: everything tastes better with miso.