Freitag, 2. Mai 2014

Pastel de nata

Today I prepared those tiny little bits called Pastel or Pasteis de nata. I know, I know they are wellknown all over the world so nothing new.  Today it was rather cold outside and after doing a little gardening I was rummaging around in the house and kitchen and got a little bit bored. I found 2 leftover sheets puff pastry dough (175 g) in my freezer and everything afterwards was done in a blink:

For 7 pasteis:
Let the pastry sheets sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to defrost. Cut the sheets in 2 cm wide strips. For the length: the strips should reach from one side of a mould to the other side while layed into the mould. Greeze the moulds, I used some silicon cupcake/muffin moulds, and place 4-5 stips next to each other into the mould so that the bottom and sides of the mould are covered and the ends of the strips are coming together on both sides. Pinch the ends together. Pinch the bottom of the pastry with a fork for a few times. Some cut the pastry into discs and use these discs for layers. The problem with discs is that the dough layers will rise unevenly while baked. The strips will keep nice in cup shape.
Heat up 1 cup milk until simmering and set aside or use cream for more richness. Whisk 2 egg yolks, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, small pinch of salt and a few drops vanilla essence together until creamy, add 3/4 tablespoon starch, whisk, add a little hot milk and whisk for a little while longer. Fill this mixture to the milk and heat up again. Whisk until the boiling point is nearly reached. The mixture should remind on a smooth custard but not on scrambled eggs..
Fill a good tablespoon egg custard into each mould and bake at 210 degree Celsius until the puff pastry is all puffed up and golden and the custard shows roast marks (takes maybe 15 minutes).

Dust with icing sugar mixed with a good pinch cinnamon.



Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

It's new to me, so thank you for letting me know another pastry.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I had them only once in a Portuguese shop (the kind owner offered one to me) and liked a lot. Yours look delicious too. Cream and sugar can make miracles.
I like your plate a lot. A souvenir from Japan? ;-)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hiroyuki I wonder, the japanese cuisine adapted quite a lot portuguese food but not the pasteis de nata. Maybe it is related to the lack of ovens.

Sissi: Yes, the plate is japanese - I think it is more in use to serve one grilled fish (laugh). Hopefully I will buy some more next autumn. A friend just bought a flat in Tokyo.