Dienstag, 13. Mai 2014

Microwave crisps

Today I made a bunch of potato crisps, following a recipe I found on another german blog. I must say, the person running the blog definitely has a totally different type of microwave. I had to adjust the time quite a lot.
Here we are:
1 used two medium sized waxy potatoes and brushed them under running water. I mixed a shot olive oil with a good pinch hot yellow curry powder, a pinch sweet paprika, smoked chili powder, pepper and salt and dried italian herb mix. I shaved the potatoes with the help of a mandoline in very thin slices and padded each slice dry with a paper towel. I tossed the slices in the olive oil spice mix.


Afterwards I stacked the slices onto watered wooden skrewers - it took 3 rather large skrewers - and placed the skrewers over a huge bowl:

I microwaved the potatoes at 950 W for 5 minutes - as told by the recipe mentioned before - no not ready at all, just soft potato slices.


It took 10 more minutes while I opened the microwave once and again to reduce the steam.
After all in all 15 minutes the crips were ready to be taken from the skrewers. Some were still soft in the middle and I layered those each for each (don't let them touch) on a piece of parchment paper and let the microwave run for a minute: They got really dark browned... 30 seconds would have been more appropriate.
Anyhow, really really tasty and crunchy. Next time I think I will give it 10 minutes for toasting on skrewers.  First I will not stack the potato slices the way I did. They need a little more distance in between. After the microwave session on skrewers I will strip the crisps off the skrewers and place them in batches on parchment paper and give each batch 1 or 2 minutes microwaving time. Those darker browned bits tasted like cornflakes...

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for your report.
Two M size potatoes required 15 minute cooking in the microwave?! That's a really useful piece of information!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Try to look at the crisps in steps, maybe every 5 minutes. I don't have any trust in my microwave.
1 medium potato = 200 g