Samstag, 19. April 2014

Salmon rice bowl

Husband asked for a quick snack / small dinner... and this is what he got:

Very easy to prepare:
I cooked enough rice for two bowls and simmered a small piece of Konbu with the rice. I filled the hot rice into a wooden bowl and added a mixture of mirin, sugar and rice vinegar and fanned the rice until lukewarm.
For the vinegar-mix - according the small amount of rice, I used about 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon mirin and 1 pinch salt.

I divided the rice to two bowls and decorated: thick pickled* salmon slices (which I glazed with a sirupe cooked from soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice and sake), a few spoons fish eggs, sliced spring onion, shredded nori, pickled ginger, yuzu-paste.

*) mild pickled salmon is a great substitute for fresh salmon.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Looks both pretty and tasty!

Your salmon don is actually a salmon oyako (parent and child) don, because it contains both salmon flesh and roe!

Your pickled salmon reminds me of tuna zuke.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Never had tuna zuke. For brined/pickled salmon: sprinkle salt and sugar on fresh salmon filet, cover with foil, use a weight and let sit for 2-3 days in the brine, in the fridge. This salmon was actually brined with marple sirupe, very tasty.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Oh, I see. I didn't realize that your pickled salmon was that complicated.

As you may know, tuna zuke is very simple; it's basically just tuna marinated in soy sauce, and was the great invention in the Edo period that enabled the preservation of tuna.