Montag, 21. April 2014

Easter Leg of lamb roast

So sorry, there are no pictures but I had some trouble with my equipment. For easter holidays I prepared a leg of lamb. Really traditional to have some leg of lamb for easter, nothing special at all in Germany.
Maybe interesting was the cooking method - the most easiest way to prepare a really great sunday roast, very relaxing, so I am going to share:
I bought some rather small part but upper part of a leg of lamb, about 1 kg, bone in. Put on some salt and pepper and roasted it in a pan while using a little bit of olive oil, until the leg of lamb was golden at all sides. Afterwards I covered the leg of lamb with a mixture of 2 tablespoons coarse mustard, 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary) and 4 finely chopped garlic gloves.
I cut 2 carrots, 1 big onion and 1/4 celery bulb into rough dices, put the leg of lamb into a cast iron baking dish, roasted the vegetables in the same pan without any additional fat until nicely roasted, added 1 tablespoon tomatoe paste and let it roast a bit and deglazed with 1 cup medium dry sherry and 1 cup water and transferred the vegetables and juices to the lamb. Now here we go:
Just put the baking dish into the oven at 85 degree Celsius and let it run for 6 hours. That is all, forget everything, just let it bake at very low temperature. Husband and I went for a long walk down the river, visited the oldest Biergarten in town, established since 1875, had some refreshments, went home, had some strawberry cake and coffee in the afternoon, did this and that and than I just prepared some mashed potatoes, green beans, asparagus, carrots as sides, and gave the lamb 15 minutes at 200 degree C.

I put the lamb on a cutting board and refilled the dish with some more sherry and water (all in all 250 ml) and boiled it up once, sieved the sauce, added 100 ml cream and 1 cup greek olives to the sieved broth and let it simmer for a few minutes, adjusted the seasoning with salt and pepper. That was all, ready to be served.
The lamb was soft and juicy. It is a lamb roast called "spoon lamb" because it is so soft, you can nearly use a spoon instead of a knife to slice it. Delicious.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank your for your Easter-related posts. Sorry I can't see the photos of your leg of lamb. (To satisfy my curiosity, I did a google image search for "leg of lamb" German Easter.)

>oven at 85 degree Celsius and let it run for 6 hours

I wonder this is a common step or a special trick of yours.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

It is called low cooking method and quite common / known. I did not invent it, sadly.