Sonntag, 2. März 2014

Shogayaki - gingered pork (sort of)

This weekend I visited my mother and stayed overnight. Last week she had her old cherry tree pruned and the gardener cut down quite a bit, especially some big old branches.  Mother wanted me to take as many logs as possible back home (for my fire place) and therefor I had to put 3 heavy packed wheelborrows of logs into my car. The gardener had already sawed the wood into small logs - very convenient. I refused to put some more into the car and she was a little bit nagging about the "good cherry wood" and "what a waste..." but I had to ride back home for a few hours and I was not sure wether my car could handle this heavy load properly, so her neighbor got his share of cherry tree logs too.
After I returned home I had to put the logs behind the house. Not that kind of work I like to do very much, but the male members of my family were not available.

Therefor today I only made a quick dinner: gingered pork (here some leftovers)



and some salad cabbage,bellpeppers and carrot:

I cut 1 pork tenderloin (700 g) into slender slices. 
For marinade:
  • 1 huge knob of ginger, grated
  • 1 garlic glove, grated
  • 3 tablespoons soysauce
  • 3 tablespoons mirin
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon worcester sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili paste

I marinated the slices 30 minutes.
Afterwards I fried the slices in four batches in a little oil (common oil and a little roasted sesame oil), only for a short period of time on each side, and kept the fried pork slices in a bowl.
Afterwards I added 1 leek, white part only, cut into slices, into the pan and stir-fried a little, added the meat, meat juices and marinade and a shot sake and let it heat up again.

Meanwhile I boiled some rice. I had prepared the salad beforehand.
It was just 1 carrot, 1 bell pepper, 1/4 crisp white cabbage - all shredded and tossed with 1/2 lemon (juice), a few spoons mayonnaise, some yoghurt, mustard, salt, pepper.

 

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

What a coincidence! I have also bought some pork tenderloin yesterday. I like ginger pork a lot too, but I am planning tonkatsu. I haven't had it for ages, so it's been in my head for a long time.
Since my favourite butcher closed I can find free-range pork only in Switzerland and it's so expensive, I really buy it very rarely... (especially tenderloin which is now my favourite for tonkatsu).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for showing us your version of shogayaki.
Personally, I prefer to use thinly sliced pork when making shogayaki. In one episode of Shinya Shokudo, the Master says some like thin slices, while others thick ones, and there are even those who prefer slices as thick as pork saute.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I also thought about tonkatsu but tonkatsu does not fit into my diet plans.
Hiroyuki: Yes I have seen thinnly sliced shogayaki too. What kind of meat do you use?

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I have no idea what kind of pork it is... I just use what is labled as usu giri (thinly sliced).

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I have tonkatsu very very rarely because it doesn't fit my general eating resolutions either (especially since I discovered I love it most with... mayonnase and taberu rayu... even with my light mayonnaise I feel guilty afterwards).
I have it very very rarely (last time maybe several months ago).