If you are rather adventurous and eager to learn more about german cooking here is the recipe for 4 servings:
- 3 big potatoes, firm kind for salads, boiled, peeled, quartered and sliced into 0,5 cm slices
- 4 small beet root bulbs, boiled, peeled cut into 0,5 cm thick strips
- 300 g pickled herring filets, ready to be eaten (I used the milder type called Matjes) cut into 1 cm thick short slices
- 1 red onion, diced into small dices
- 2 medium-small german style pickled cucumbers (vinegared brine), diced
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 125 g firm yoghurt or german sour cream
- 125 g mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 big lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (mild)
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard
- salt a very good pinch and more to taste
Stirr together the ingredients for dressing. Toss everything together in a bigger bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for a few hours - this will improve the flavor.
Goes very well with dark german bread... and german beer.