Freitag, 10. Januar 2014

Teriyaki Chicken and Kinpira Salsify

I planned to prepare Jambalaya, that is what I had in mind when I went to the store, but first I visited the vegetable area and found some black salsify - so good! I decided on fake Kinpira gobo. Wish I could buy gobo but in my country burdock is called an annoying weed and not a vegetable to be sold. I think salsify makes a wonderful substitute. So today we had Kinpira salsify and Teriyaki chicken:


Meat and vegetables will be done during the time it takes to boil the rice.
First I deboned two chicken tighs and cut the meat into smaller chunks (prepared some chicken broth from the bones). I marinated the meat in
  • 2 tablespoons sake 
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons mirin
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
for 1 hour in advance. Then I stir-fried the chicken (skin-side first) until well browned, added the leftover marinade, stirred with some chickenbroth (3 tablespoons) and let it simmer until done and the liquids nearly gone  (just a few minutes).

Kinpira-salsify
  • 2 big salsify roots
  • 2 carrots
  • oil for frying
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon mirin
  • 1 sip sake
  • sesame seeds (toasted)

I peeled the salsify roots (the skin is not edible) and shaved the roots into strips  (- I did not care about the oxidation. The white salsify turns yellow-brownish due to oxidation if not put into vinegared water after peeling, but this would add a slightly sour taste so I decided against).
I cut the carrots into strips and stir-fried the vegetables in a little oil. Added the liquids, simmered over medium until the vegetables turned tender/crunchy and sprinkled sesame seeds.




Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I've never tasted salsify. You never know, it may be a better substitute for gobo!

Here is one question for you: I understand that in the United States, chicken breasts are much expensive than (undeboned) chicken thighs. In Japan, the opposite is true. Chicken thighs (usually deboned) are nearly two times as expensive as breasts. How about in Germany?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Chicken breast and undeboned chicken tighs: The price is nearly the same. The chicken breasts are a little bit cheaper. Usually people like to buy the breast meat (without skin and bones) or the chicken tighs, which are roasted as they are (bones in, skin on) or the whole chicken or wings and trums. If you want to have the chicken tighs deboned, it is up to you - tons of german videos on youtube about how to debone a chicken. And if you have done this you will see breasts are way cheaper.