Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2013

Typical german christmas market in a very small rural village

During christmas season there are always small christmas markets for just one day. These markets are planned by village peoples: often the fire brigade, the sport community, church and so on. This year we visited a small market because a friend ran a food booth selling sausage in spicy sauce called Currywurst and hot cocktails and we promised to visit. This is a typical rural surrounding for our area:
Old red brick stone houses with wooden framework:

Some village people..
Christmas market (part of) in the church yard near an small castle, surrounded by old farm houses:
There was a small booth selling wooden handcrafted christmas decorations (there where some more selling honey and honey soap, beewax candles, cookies, old fashioned candies, crepes - had one, fish, grilled sausage, mulled wine, cakes, woolen puppets and toy animals, advent wreaths..)

Hot cocktail booth:
Hot cocktail (Zombie) - I felt a little bit dizzy afterwards:
Another booth selling grilled or smoked salmon:

 This is how the salmon was grilled - attached to wooden boards near the fire:


The grilled salmon was delicious
The sausage in spicy sauce too..


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for sharing the photos! Everything-the houses, decorations, food, and drink-looks so attractive to me!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Because it is foreign (laugh). I also found the shrine related japanese food stalls and products very interesting. Germany is famous for christmas markets. The big commercial markets are not that great anymore, the products are from China, the food is always the same and it reminds a little bit on Oktoberfest - but there are lots of tourists who like these. Those local small non-commercial volunteer markets are cosy and the people are very nice, warmhearted and joyfull - you will never see a tourist there. The products are home made, the cookies baked at home by some grandmother and so on.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have forgotten to taste currywurst when I was in Berlin. Next time I guess :-) (I did have an amazing sausage salad though: I thought "sausage salad" would be either a potato salad with sausages or a green salad with sausages but when I saw the all-sausage salad with a bit of onions and sauce, I was shocked! The sausage was julienned and the salad proved delicious and not as heavy as I had worried.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: Sausage salad - I am quite sure the berlin guys don't know how to prepare it (laugh). It is a speciality of souther germany. I will post a recipe.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Wow! I had no idea! I am looking forward to seeing it (your Southern potato salad was a huge hit and after I made it several times, I got it once in a pub in Freiburg; it didn't even compare to yours!).