Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2013

Shokupan japanese milk loaf

Because I did not buy enough bread I had to bake some - it is sunday and the bakeries are closed. I was intrigued of the idea to bake a bread similiar to the bread I often had in Tokyo, a very spongy soft white bread. I would like to prepare some egg-salad sandwiches for my office lunch break tomorrow and I had this kind of bread in mind.
So I did it. I think it is near - maybe I will try some adjustments next time, but it near.
nice spongy soft texture with small bubbles

Most recipes call for milk powder - milk powder is something I usually don't have in storage, so I used plain milk and a little butter.

For one loaf:
  • 400 g wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons potato starch
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 300 ml milk
  • 50 g butter, diced
  • 1 bag instant yeast
I stirred the flour and starch with sugar, salt, yeast and heated up the milk with the butter until the butter melted. I let the milk sit for a bit but poured it still hot (but not boiling hot) over the flour and started the machine. The flour will soak up the heated milk in a very short time and the dough will come together really quickly. Let the machine run for 10 minutes on medium speed.

I lshaped the dough into a ball, covered the bowl with clingfilm and let the dough rise until doubled - in fact it will rise quickly but give it one hour at least.
On a baking board I squeezed the ball into a rectangle and folded the dough from each side one time and formed a roll. I cut the roll into 7 thick slices and formed a ball from each slice as in making dumplings. The balls were placed in the baking tin each next to another and basted the surface with a little milk. I let the loaf rise again for 45 minutes (until nearly doubled ):

The tin was covered with clingfilm and the dough rose a bit too much so the clingfilm clinged to the dough, ruined a perfect smooth crust..
First I baked the loaf for 10 minutes at 200 C and afterwards for 30 minutes at 175 C. 
I am very satisfied with the result concerning taste and texture but the bread lacks a little bit moisture. Next time I will try a hot flour mix (for humidity, before adding yeast), add more milk. Definitely less baking temperature at the beginning and maybe I will give the dough some other turns while shaping to form a swirly texture. I still don't think I will have to buy some milk powder.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

One thing I wanted to ask you while you were in Japan was whether you wanted to have German bread. You must have realized how expensive German bread was in Japan.

About shokupan (食パン) recipes, are you sure that most recipes call for milk powder? I'm no expert, but even I know that milk should be a common ingredient, and I have confirmed that by googling.

In Japan, kyoriki ko (強力粉), which has high gluten content, is used to make bread. I understand that in Germany, wheat flour is graded according to mineral content. What type of flour did you use to make your shokupan?

I almost forgot to say: Congratulations on your success! Yes, yours look very much like Japanese shokupan!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I used 405 milling grade wheat flour - good for spongy cakes, and additional starch for more glue (the task of gluten). Milk powder is an ingredient you will find in US american Blogs about Shokupan (people are ex-Japanese or lived in Japan). You are right, I am lazy, should have read some japanese blogs instead - which I would have to translate first: too lazy.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

German bread in Tokyo: Did not had any and did not see any by the way. The bakeries I visited provided lots of french style bread or bread as foccacia and sweet or salty soft bread.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I see. Now I understand why your recipe contains potato starch.

I did some googling and found some useful information.
For example, this blogger
http://ankoskorb.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-1.html
says that
Backmehl550 manufactured by GOLDPUDER results in mochi-mochi texture. It also says that making bread with 550 flour, using a Japanese recipe, does not produce that mochi-mochi and moist texture.

Yes, German bakeries are rare and hard to find.
I found one in Kagurazaka, which you visited:
http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1309/A130905/13021569/

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes, maybe I will try flour type 550 next time, but I will add some gluten too and some more milk.
Beats me, I walked down exactly this road but I did not visit a bakery. I visited the Kimono shop and a coffee shop.

Sissi hat gesagt…

It looks impressive, though I must say that bread was a big deception for me in Japan. Bread is such a personal thing... The worst one I had was in an expensive depachika where I tasted my first Japanese egg sandwich (my Japanese friend assures me the sandwich would be excellent). It simply didn't have taste and I had to admit I had a better soft bread sandwich at the airport at Starbuck's ;-)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: Several times I had my breakfast in a japanese coffee shop too and the egg and tuna sandwiches were delicious. The bread did not play the main role but the softness and fluffyness were very nice. Together with the spread (soft porched egg and salmon kaviar, mayonnaise or shredded tuna and mayonnaise and some spring onions) it was pretty perfect. I think dark german bread is very good together with cheese and sausage, butter but not always good with more delicate spreads/toppings.