Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013

Indonesian style noodles

During weekdays most of the time I am a lazy cook. Therefore I am a huge fan of asian dishes because the only things you need is a big pan and a pot for rice or noodles and a fridge containing some vegetables... As long as everything can be chopped and stir-fried in a wok or pan, it is only a question of minutes and you may eat to your hearts content.
Today I prepared Mie (chinese noodles) with some colourful vegetables, ham and omelette stripes - I had some sort of Bami-goreng in mind.

The spices I used are a mix of thai and chinese.
For 3 persons:
  • 150 g ham (lean), sliced into strips
  • 3 eggs (had to use the up)
  • 2 red bell peppers sliced
  • 1/2 cup small green peas (frozen, heated up in the microwave)
  • 1 bunch slender spring onions, trimmed, sliced
  • 1 garlic glove, minced
  • 1 knob ginger root minced
  • 1 tablespoon red Thai curry-paste (for real Bami goreng it should be Sambal oelek - but I like Thai curry paste better)
  • 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
  • salt
  • a few dashes oyster sauce (may be subsituted with soy sauce)
  • sesame oil
  • oil

First I heated up the big pan with a little oil/sesame oil mix. I stir-fried the spring onions and bell peppers together with ginger and garlic and a tablespoon Thai curry paste until it became fragrant, reduced the heat and let the vegetables get a little softer - at this point I stirred in peanut butter.
Meanwhile I prepared a thick and fluffy omlette using 3 eggs and a dash water, salt and sliced the omlette into thicker strips.
I tossed the omelette and ham with the vegetables, seasoned with salt, oystersauce (it is very important to not overcook the ham and omelette so just mix them into the hot vegetables but don't stir-fry any longer).
I cooked the mie in salted water until chewy soft and tossed them (drained but still a little wet) with the rest. Finished.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I don't think you are a lazy cook!
Most of the time, I am much lazier than you are. (With my two children, who are becoming picker day by day, I sometimes get so weary of cooking.)

One question: Do you need salt water to cook the Chinese noodles? I did quick googling and found that they already contain salt.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi, the pasta was not salty at all - I put just a little salt into the water.

Picky children: This is vexing. I would also not like to give my all for people not enjoying their meals. Let them pick ingredients and discuss price and nutrition facts.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Oh, yes... I'm also recently fed on soups and noodles (and also "dons":rice with toppings). I feel so lazy...
These noodles sound delicious, especially the cut omelette.