Samstag, 7. Dezember 2013

German Wurstsalat - salad made of sausage

I promised to post a recipe. Here we are:


This is a typical southern german dish, often sold in inns - note: not in high class restaurants. I have seen it in every tourist trap in Munich too.
The main ingredient is a sausage, not a small Wiener but some sort of boiled sausage, sold in rings called Lyoner. Wurstsalat using the sister called Fleischwurst (looks the same) doesn't taste the same. It has to be a Lyoner. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurstsalat
Or a 50:50 mix of Lyoner and Blutwurst (firm black pudding), did not had any Blutwurst in storage.

I made a salad for 1-2 persons (it has tons of calories so for me half the amount is ok, I could have easily eat all of it on my own but I shared...):
Cut 100g Lyoner into slender strips. Cut 2 german style vinegar pickled cucumber (gherkins) into slender strips, slice 1 small mild onion on a mandoline.
For dressing:
  • 1/4+ teaspoon salt (good pinch)
  • 1 small pinch sugar
  • 1 teaspoon mild (red or wite wine) vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon cucumber pickling brine
  • 2 teaspoons oil (canola, sunflower)
  • 3/4 teaspoon mustard (coarse would be fine)
  • 1 small pinch dried majoram
  • pepper, freshly ground

Stir dressing, add sausage, cucumbers, onion and toss well. Let sit for 30 minutes. It is served with bread.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for posting a recipe!
It must be on my list of must eats if I ever visit Germany!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes please.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Thank you so much for the recipe! Now I'm ready to prepare it too (of course I need to find the sausage before ;-) or buy it during one of my trips to Freiburg). By the way, I had it in a kind of bar/café, not a fancy restaurant, but they had very high quality products and prepared and presented with a lot of care (I had two dinners there), which really surprised me.
It's funny because Wikipedia says such a salad is popular in Switzerland... I have never even heard about it, not to mention seeing it on a menu, so it must be available probably only in the German-speaking part and maybe even in only a small region for example... I must see if I can buy a similar sausage since it must be sold in some parts of Switzerland. Thank you again!

Sissi hat gesagt…

After a quick look I see I can make it! There are some similar sausages here and maybe it would be delicious with Italian mortadella too!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: Mortadella will be nice too, contains a little bit more fat but the smooth texture and taste are good.