Mittwoch, 18. Dezember 2013

Civet coffee

Today, for the first time in my life, I had civet coffee, brewed using the typical german drip method. And I was so surprised, I never had a coffee with such a deep (mocha - toffee- chocolate???) flavour - while smelling like incense, before. The brew was strong, mild and super tasty. A totally strange and different coffee experience. I must confess, first I hesitated. As you may know (or not) the coffee beans have to be fermented by a rather unusual method: they just have to make their way through a palm civet (looks like a big weasel). The crap will be collected, the beans are washed and roasted afterwards.
 We joked quite a lot wether I should feed my cats green coffee beans too, but I think they would not be amused. We also thought, for mass production it is way better to use elefants instead of palm civets. This coffee is really very good and a rare delicacy (the production methods are sometimes cruel too) I am never going to buy some though.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for sharing your impression and thought on civet coffee.
I, for one, is not inclined to try it because of its production method, prohibitive price, and possible cruelty.

I'm going to roast three batches of coffee beans today and give some of them to a neighbor.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes, yes, the production method..

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have heard about this coffee a long long time ago... but have never dared trying it. I see it's worth the high price! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. (As for cruelty... well, I cannot imagine Christmas without foie gras...

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I have read the Vietnamese are selling civet coffee made by artificial fermentation so perhaps there is no longer any need to stuff the weasels with coffee beans. Guess by now there is more faked civet coffee on the market as the real one.
Fois gras - I like to eat this too, maybe the goose will be rewarded in the next life and we have to watch out.

Lia Wright hat gesagt…

Such a lovely post! I am a coffee lover and i taste most of the coffees but when i take a first sip of civet coffee i was so surprised it was awesome. Thanks for sharing us your views.
Kopi Luwak