Sonntag, 24. November 2013

Salmon and potato-pumpkin pancakes

Friday I bought a piece of a salmon half with the skin on and pickled it with brown sugar, coarse sea salt and some spices. I did not measure the pickling ingredients but I guess it was just 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon coarse salt, pinch grated yuzu peel, red and black coarse pepper .
The fish was then wrapped in clingfilm, placed in a dish, some weights went on top (2 cans of tomatoes) and I stored it in the fridge - flipped it over once at saturday night.
This is a method to pickle salmon the scandinavian way called graved lachs - burried salmon. In former times the salmon (rubbed with sugar and salt) was burried in soil to keep the fish fresh. No need to do this in the time of refridgerators, maybe the temperature is slightly too cold. The fish will not be as fermented as in former times.

Today I rinsed the fish, patted it dry with paper towel and sliced the fish into thicker slices (yes did it with the vegetable knife I bought in Tokyo)



I prepared potato-pumpkin pancakes to go with. Therefore I grated (into medium stripes):
  • 5 medium small potatoes 
  • round end of a smaller butternut squash (peeled, seeds scraped out)
and mixed in:
  • 1 egg, 
  • 1 spring onion, finely chopped, 
  • 1 bunch parsley, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • some pepper
  • 1 tablespoon potato starch

I chopped the spring onion and the parsley with the new vegetable knife, went very smooth..


I fried the pancakes in 3 batches in a pan in a good amount of oil:
I took 1 very heaped teaspoon of the mixture for one small pancake and pressed the mixture into a flat round shape. The oil should not be too hot to start with, medium high heat is recommended, because the pancakes should roast nicely and slowly to become crisp and not turn out roasted outside and raw inside. The potatoes will take some time.  After one side was roasted and the edges crisp I flipped the patties over and fried the other side.


I placed the fried pancakes on paper towels to reduce the fat content.

How to serve:
I placed some slices salmon on top of each pancake and added a small amount of horse radish cream (whipped cream mixed with grated horse radish)

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Very elaborate recipe! The resultant dish should be very tasty!

Glad to see your knife in action! I hope you take a good care of your carbon steel nakiri (your only carbon steel knife?).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi, I own some more carbon steel knives, so I am going to take good care of it. As I thought, it is perfect to cut and chop vegetables.

Gill Catterall hat gesagt…

Hi, I make gravad lachs every Christmas. I buy a whole salmon and cut off the largest piece to fit in my large oval dish. The tail piece left over makes kedgeree for Christmas Eve. As I am British, we have our main meal on Christmas Day.
Kedgeree is great because I can prepare it early in the day and reheat it quickly once everyone had arrived back home. It is also a relatively plain dish which is a good contrast to the excesses of Christmas dinner. Usually made with smoked haddock, I also add some festive prawns at this time of year.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi Gill Catterall,
splendid idea. I did not have any Kedgeree for a long time. True the gravad lachs can be used for a lot of dishes. I like to dice some leftovers and add to a thick spicy tomato sugo (no boiling just add to the steamy hot sauce) - tastes great with pasta. Or I prepare a cream chowder with some clams, shrimp, crab meat (whatever the freezer may provide) and diced gravad lachs.