Freitag, 8. November 2013

Knife

Today at Yoshizawa Riko in Shibuya I decided to buy a knife for vegetables. Yes they do have very good looking knives for fish and meat, but most of the time I am preparing vegetables and I already have excellent knives for the usual doing. European style knives are not that great when it comes to put a carrot into many thinnly cut match-sticks. That is the reason for chosing this type of knife.
So this is a new member to my collection. At home I easily would have to pay trice the amount, I paid here: Carbon steel Nakiri bocho Tokyo style. The old lady seemed to be very fond of this knife too, she told me this at least.
Did I tell I have seen some marvellous Samurai swords at the museum? I don't know what they have done during centuries, but there was a sword from the 14th century - a so called national treasure, looking brand new - at least the blade, no speck of rust or other defects.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I'm very surprised to see this post of yours! You bought a knife there! I had thought that you just wanted to pay them a visit, say hello, ask them to show you some Shigefusa and other good knives, and say goodbye...
But I believe you have made a good purchase there after all.

I agree with you; this type of knife (nakiri) works best for almost all vegetable preparation tasks.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Are you planning to go to the Tsukiji Market?
How about going to Mt. Takao for a change?
http://www.takaotozan.co.jp/takaotozan_eng1/index2.htm

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I have some fixed plans but the fish market was not on my list. Mountain area sounds nice maybe next week. First I will have to visit some more locations in Tokyo. Today it is Shinjuku and Akiharaba.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Personally, I don't like Shinjuku. Stay away from Kabuchi-cho!
I liked Akihabara when I was in my teens, but not any more, because it has changed a lot.

I'd rather recommend Sugamo (Old Ladies' Harajuku):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3066.html
135orsFarg

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Sorry, no Kabuchi-cho but Kabuki-cho 歌舞伎町 (laugh).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

If you are interested in local foods of different prefectures, Tokyo Kotsu Kaikan 東京交通会館, just a 1-minute walk from JR Yurakucho station, is the right place to go.
The building is marked B on this map:
http://antenashop.enjoytokyo.jp/tour/

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Harajuku is on my to do list, but the one for the young. I want to buy a present for a friend who is very into the crazy youth fashion items. And I like to watch the fashionable people. They have much more courage as the kids at home.

I will try to visit the restaurant. Just gave my Pasmo card a fresh boost.