Samstag, 30. November 2013

Just some sort of spring roll

Yesterday I bought some so called "strudel" dough, the same as Filo dough. It comes in square thin sheets.
I prepared the filling using some ground meat, vegetables and mushrooms. This is quickly done, the only thing left to do is to wrap it up and bake for 20 minutes.
I was delighted to find a mushroom mix with different kinds of oyster mushrooms: bright yellow,  orange-brown and greyish. They also sell a new type of enoki: "golden enoki" and shimeii, besides the more "common" mushrooms as button mushrooms and shiitake. The product range is getting better and better these days...

I took:
6 sheets dough

Filling:
  • 1 carrot, diced into small cubes
  • 1 smaller celery stalk, diced into small cubes
  • 1 onion, diced into small cubes
  • 250 g pork, ground meat
  • 200 g oyster mushrooms (different varieties), diced
  • 150 g white cabbage, diced
  • 1 knob (half my thumb size) ginger root, minced
  • 2 garlic gloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon arrow root starch
  • Sesame oil for frying and basting
  • sesame seeds
Seasoning:
  • 1 teaspoon chili paste
  • 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
  • 1-2 tablespoons mirin
  • 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • black pepper

I stir-fried meat and vegetables, mushrooms in a huge pan, and after the meat turned white and the cabbage soft, I added mirin and soy sauce and let is simmer for a few more minutes until the liquids were evaporated. I added the Hoisin sauce and chili paste, pepper and arrow root starch (stirred in a little water). Heated it up once and let it cool down a bit. I filled the rolls and basted the rolls with a little roasted sesame oil and sprinkled some sesame seeds. Baked the rolls at 200 C about 20 min (or until golden-brown and crunchy).

Prepare filling:
Wrap it up:
Put it into the oven:

Enjoy:

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for reminding me about making spring rolls. I think I'll try the toaster oven instead.

Golden enoki? I have no idea what it can be!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

See Golden Enoki:
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Golden_Enoki_Mushrooms_6293.php

Maybe they have a different name in Japan

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Ah-ha! Brown enoki!
ブラウンえのき!

Sissi hat gesagt…

What a coincidence! I have recently started to make the same shape with filo instead of triangles which are too difficult for my clumsy impatient hands ;-)
Your filling looks delicious and quite complex!