Dienstag, 5. November 2013

First day in Tokyo

Yesterday I went to the airport at 9:30 am. Today I arrived at Tokyo at noon. Got my sim card from softbank and took the train to Asakusa station. I did not manage to receive a pasmo card at the vending machine - my brain was too slow but strange enough I was not troubled at all - guess I was too tired to panic. Bought a ticket for the express train at the gate and found my Hotel in a blink of an eye.
But my room was not ready yet. Check in is at 3 pm so I dropped my lagguage and went to the big shrine. There I bought 3 deep fried mochi with pumpkin, geen tea and custard filling and ate them at once. My hunger was big and I did not fiddle around with the I-Phone...

Got green tea from a vending machine and had my first smoke in a smoking area since yesterday whew...
I strolled the nakamishi area and bought 3 small towels, could not resist but I found a Senbei bakery too and I will buy some the other days.
Than I found a very small coffee shop and had my first milk coffee. It was a shop crowded with old folk and they looked a little surprised but I ordered in japanese and we had a little smalltalk.

Here are some pictures








Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, you are already in Tokyo. Your first destination was Asakusa?
But, milk coffee (cafe au lait) was a beverage of your choice at a coffee shop in Japan?! And, it's 550 yen! It's a bit pricey by Japanese standards. You can get a good cup of coffee at a conbini (for 100 yen at a 7-11, for example).

How did you find the tatami (straw mat) room and the futon?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I just dropped in because it looked nice and cosy. Yes it is pricy but it is at the center of the tourist traps near the shrine. Bought some beer and tea at a Konbini too and had some Sushi in a small store Merry go round in a shopping mall for 1100 Yen. Fat tuna, horse makarel, seabeam, salmon and such.

muskratbyte hat gesagt…

Sugoi! Amazing! I'm so jealous and will be reading about your experiences closely!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi muskratbyte - I should post under the label: Adventures of an old lady's credit card running lose in a big city LOL but I like it. Hope you enjoy it too. The japanese people I met and talked to were incredible nice. And they are not shy at all. I have read some stupid stories from other blogs. They all wrote Japanese people would not like to talk to foreigners because they seem to be afraid to speak in english and even when you talk in japanese they act as if they cannot understand you. That is so not true. I talked at lot in my bad japanese and we had some laugh but they always chatted with me. So it is really good to visit Tokyo.