Samstag, 30. November 2013

Advent wreath

Finished it just in time... what is left to do, is to bake the first christmas cookies...
Last week I looked around for a wreath but was quite annoyed about the costs. 12,50 Euros for a small wreath built on a ring of straw or styrofoam - are they serious???
 I decided to make my own using whatever evergreen shrub my garden is providing at this time of the year. So I went and cut some cypress, hollies, boxwood, mahonia and juniper. The center of the wreath is made of some wisteria wood which can be easily tied to a ring. I simply attached the other greens with thin gardening wire, layer by layer. I did not add much ornaments because I like the more natural look the most. I simply took some dried lantern flowers and hydrangea blossoms I used for an autumn decoration (which is now gone) and some small items. I think it is quite ok and it did not cost one cent. I just have to add the candles I am going to buy today.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for mentioning the advent wreath. I had no idea what it could be, so I had to do some googling.

Do people in Germany actually light up the candles? (I hope my question doesn't sound very stupid.)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes: 1 candle for each advent sunday. There are four: You start with lighting up the first, next sunday you light up the first and the second, then the first, second and third and the forth is for the last sunday before christmas. It is a count-down to christmas (laugh).
Always during this season some houses or flats burn down because someone forgot to watch over the candles. We had an office burned down because the secretary forgot the candles she lighted up - she went home and than it happened. Since this time lighting up candles during christmas season is forbitten in our office building. At home I only light up the candles during dinner time.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Fire hazard! That's exactly what I wanted to know!