Dienstag, 15. Oktober 2013

Quince compote

Harvest time and I have to deal with lots of quinces again. Last year I made many liters of quince juice and prepared jelly (jam). I still have some jelly leftover. I may prepare juice again, but first I made some preserves: compote. Quince-compote is very delicious but very troublesome to prepare.

500 ml jar, fruits and syrup

Quinces are rather firm fruits and therefore not easy to peel and core. They may look like apples or pears but they are not the same.
 For 3 big jars of compote I picked about 10 quinces and after washing the fruits and rubbing their hairy skin with a paper towel, I tried to peel and decore them as clean and nice as possible.
First I was planning to make compote using halved fruits only (because it looks nicer) and to use a core cutter but they were too firm for the poor cutting tool, so I took my big and heavy chef's knife to cut the quinces into quarters and to cut out the core remains. I know some who chop quinces with an smaller and well honed axe, no joke, my mom does it all the time whenever she is preparing quince jelly. (This year she has tons of quinces too and she started to ship them to all relatives while I am going to share them at my office as usual).

I simmered the peels and cores in 1 liter apple-nashi juice which I had prepared beforehand together will half of a vanilla pod.
Because I do own an electronic juicer, it is very easy for me to have some fresh juice. I just had to cut the washed fruits into bigger wedges and put them into the juicer, skin and stems on, cores in, does not matter. The only thing left to do afterwards, was to strain the fresh juice through a cloth or fine mashed metal strainer because I wanted the juice to be absolutely clear. 1 liter store-bought apple juice would have been perfect too but I still had some nashis and apples left and fresh juice tastes simply the best.

The quince peels and cores have to simmer about 45 minutes in the juice. This will add an tremendous amount of quince fragrance to the compote later on. Afterwards I strained the juice again to get rid off the peels and such, put the quince quarters into a 3.5 l sauce pan, added the clear juice and enough water to keep the fruits covered. 350 g sugar were stirred in. I boiled the compote up and let it simmer uncovered until the quinces were soft enough. They are soft enough when a tooth-pick or fork can be pinched deeper into the quarters but they should not break and fall apart: about 8 minutes. Meanwhile the cooking liquid / juice was turned into a thinnly syrup.

First I filled the fruitsquaters into jars and afterwards I covered the fruits with the boiling hot syrup (I boiled it up one more time without the fruits) and closed the jars with lits. It is important to turn the jars over and let them sit on their lits for 10 minutes at least. This will help to keep the jars firmly closed. During this time the quince quarters will simmer some more because the syrup is really hot which is good for peserving issues but bad if the quarters were to soft to begin with... Usually the compote will keep up to a few month if you work with sterialized jars while using piping hot syrup.

There was some syrup leftover which tastes very good mixed with sparkling water or sparkling wine.

I will make some more compote and trade it for deer meat (laugh).

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Quinces are such a mysterious fruit to the Japanese, and I have never tasted them...
But an axe??? That makes them even more mysterious!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

They are firm: to cut a quince by knife is really hard work. If you want to chop lots of quinces for jelly an axe can be very useful - just chop, chop, chop - but beware it is a little risky...

Sissi hat gesagt…

As a lazy person I first cook the quince and then purée it... no need to peel ;-) Before pureeing I let the juices strain delicately as a basis for the jelly. The remains will be a thick jam (I have posted both recipes a long time ago).