Sonntag, 13. Oktober 2013

Korean-style pickled Shiso (Kkaennip kimchi)

The winter is near and before the first deep-freeze will kill all the soft leaved perential plants I am trying to preserve some of their goodness.
There is still a big perilla doing her best, full of leaves and today I took cake of them:


I plugged all bigger and flawless leaves and washed them carefully, afterwards I let them drain in a big sieve. Maybe I gethered about 40 leaves, I did not count them - just two bigger stacks.
I started to make the pickling base:
  • 1 small carrot, cut into match-sticks
  • 2 small green mild peppers, cut into thin slices
  • 1 big garlic glove, crushed and minced roughly (not enough garlic to korean tastes)
  • 1 bunch garlic chives, chopped (therefore the garlic chives instead of spring onion and more garlic)
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
  • 1 cup soysauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon grated  nashi (pear)
  • 1 tablespoon fishsauce
  • 1 pinch salt (because the soysauce was not very salty)
  • 2 tablespoons hot chili flakes (I did not have much chili flakes in storage so I simply ground a handful bigger dried red Thai-Chili) - this is really less chili koreans would use
I stirred everything together in a bowl.
Then I stacked the kimchi:
I dipped one leaf into the brine and placed it in the container, put a little of the vegetables on top, dipped the next leaf into the sauce and placed it on top of the first leaf, added a little vegetable and so on.
I made two stackes., filled in leftover brine and covered the container with an air-tied lid. I will let this sit in the fridge until this evening, thenn I will flip the stackes over. The kimchi will be ready in a few days.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for the recipe! I didn't know that such pickled shiso existed. I have to go out and check if my shiso leaves are still edible.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Today it smells even more like Kimchi. I am going to have some tonight with rice.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I also like this kimchi a lot! Unfortunately it doesn't keep for a long time (unlike cabbage kimchi which I keep for long months).