Sonntag, 27. Oktober 2013

Duck breast with mushrooms

Today I prepared some quick dishs because I was buisy, so no big sunday roast or even a cake,  just duck breast, mushroom sauce and pasta:

Duck breast in mushroom sauce
First I seared the breast in the duck fat until well roasted and pink inside. I placed the breast in aluminium foil and made the sauce:

  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup mirin
  • 1/4 cup sake
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3 small spring onions, sliced
  • 1 bigger knob ginger root, minced
  • 1 garlic glove, minced
  • 2 handful mushrooms, I only know the german name Stockschwaemmchen (Kuehneromyces) - they look a lot like Shimeji
I heated up the liquids with garlic and ginger root in a pot and simmered until reduced to half. I added the mushrooms and simmered until they were done. Sliced the duck breast and tossed it into the sauce together with the spring onions. I served this dish with fresh pasta (very thin italian linguine) and a vegetable sidedish (carrots and lotus root in a sesame sauce)

Today was a very buisy day because:
There was the garden I had to take care of, especially the small pond. Next to the pond there is a huge magnolia tree who decided to let go heaps of leaves and all at once. I had to fish them out of the pond - nasty task. Than I picked up 20 kg quinces, because the quince tree decided it was high time to get rid of them. (I prepared 2 liters steamed quince juice, a good method to use up 6 kg quinces and prepared oven baked quinces). And I had to remove leaves from the yard too.

It was high time to take care about my journey to Tokyo as I am going to stay there for two weeks in one week so this kept me really occupied too: Searching and selecting points of interest, look out for maps and subway connections, planning some strolls. I copied and pasted the information into files and printed them out. Now I have a day to day plan on what to do and how to get there, transportation costs included (I am going to buy a Pasmo card at a vending machine in Narita airport and it is quite good to know how much money I should place on the card beforehand). I will store the information about my sight-seeing trips on my i-Pad too but just in case it will fail/get lost, I have a paper bound back-up. To be honest, I feel a little bit chicken-hearted about visiting such a big city without proper language skills - ok I can ask for directions and order food and tell a doctor where it hurts, just simple sentences but probably no discussion skills. I visited lots of capital cities in Europe but never such a big one (London and Paris are big too but not that big) and I feel much more comfortable with my planning the trips beforehand.
I read an article about the really bad behaviour of japanese men against foreign women and that really got me Japan no safe country for foreign women . I don't think I am in the scope of such guys because I am not blond, no longer young enough and I look a little bit asian too (thanks to chinese ancestors) so this may help a bit, but  I feel a little uneasy. I am foreign so just in case I am so not going to visit Roppongi after dark and try to avoid jam packed trains during the buisy hours(..). What shocked me the most is the lack of police in action (who cares about bloody foreigners) - just in case I am going to take the phone number and address of the german embassy with me. At least I have a native speaker at hand and nearby in Tokyo. She will have a look at my plans too and give recommendations, but I don't want to trouble her much.
But than again I know of places around  here and elsewhere I would not dare to visit after dark or all alone so I will just behave the same way.

So my day was full of other tasks and cooking took only a small part.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I've never had Kuehneromyces, but I don't think they look like shimeji...

You will be in Tokyo for two weeks in one week? Wow, that sounds exiciting!

As for the safety of Japan, I can only say that we should be cautious wherever we go, right?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

The mushrooms grow in Japan too:
Kuehneromyces mutabilis. Found the english name: sheathed woodtuft. I like these mushrooms, they are a slimy but stay chewy.

I will be careful as always.

CQUEK hat gesagt…

Thank you for this recipe

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Yes, they grow in Japan, too, and they are called senbon ichime gasa
センボンイチメガサ.
The problem is that this mushroom looks a lot like korera take
コレラタケ, which is very poisonous and sometimes fatal.

With the date of depature approaching, you must be both very excited and nervous. But, don't worry! In general, the Japanese are very kind, especially to foreigners.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Thank you for your comments. Hiroyuki, yes I am very excited. I am still planning my tours. For example: Day trip to Kamakura and Nikko. guided tour to haunted places... The list of places I would like to visit is getting longer and longer.