Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2013

Chard roll

We will have to face very cold nights and the tree leaves are dropping really fast. I stayed at the North sea the last days and we had really stormy autumn weather: cold, but sunny with heavy winds. I thought the storm is trying to send me flying from the embankment.

Now I am back and at the moment there is lots of work to do in the garden: Harvest, preparing for winter, cutting bushes. After wrestling with the Wisteria (still trying to eat the garage), today I picked chard leaves (the chard is still doing well in the raised beds) and made some crisp rolls.
I used a fresh dough called Filo - nearly the same dough as for spring rolls. The only thing left to do after buying some Filo is to wrap things up.

Chard roll
For filling I cut the chard leaves (without stems, about 700 g) into bigger pieces, chopped 1 onion and minced 1 garlic glove. Those went into a pan with a little dark sesame oil and were stir-fried until the chard leaves went limp and lost their liquid.
I added a little salt, some chili flakes, pepper and 150 g crumbled greek Feta (white sheep milk cheese) and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds stirred and ready to go.

I put about 2 tablespoons filling on a triangled sheet of filo and wrapped it up into spring roll shape (ends tugged in) and set the roll on a baking sheet (brushed with oil)
I also brushed the rolls with a little oil and baked the rolls for about 20 minutes at 200 C.
They taste the best when still hot and crisp, right from the oven, but even cooled down (leftovers) are pretty tasty.

We had them together with some spicy curry made with green lentils, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and bellpeppers. I simply cooked small lentils in broth until soft, diced the vegetables in smaller cubes and fried the dices in a little oil until a little roasted, added javanese curry powder, chili and the lentils with broth (just enough broth left to cover everything) and simmered until the vegetables were soft too. Spiced to taste with some soy sauce and worcester sauce too.

Afterwards I made a "milk shake" out of 3 nashis, peeled and cut into small slices and 1 banana, 1 small plain yoghurt and a little milk. I just purred the lot in a blender and sprinkled a little french 4-spice for serving.
I still have so many nashis, it is not that easy to eat them in time. Next week I hope my collegues will help me to get rid of them.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Your baked spring rolls sound very nice! I hope I can make similar ones soon. (The other day, my daughter reported that the spring rolls (containing salmon and cheese) served for school lunch were very tasty.)

My family would have no problems consuming all of your nashi!!!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Salmon and cheese spring roll sounds really good too. Did you watch Kodoko no Gorume episode 12: Sardine rolls with cheese reminding him on Anchovis Pizza - yummy! And he visited Niigata and stopped at the old house with the carvings.

The problem with nashis is, they only taste good eaten raw, right from the tree. After a week or so they are going to wilt away. Found a blog entry about dried nashi. I will give it a try.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I watched episodes 11 and 12 last night, and yes, it was the SHEDDING HOUSE!!!
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.jp/2012/09/echigo-tsumari-art-triennale-part-ix.html
I have visited the area around Tokamachi Station once, just like the guy, parking my car in front of the station.