|That is how the jam looks like|
I planted a vineyard peach tree 8 years ago and wether there will be peaches or none still depends on the weather in early spring. This year's early spring was so cold and freezing the peach tree started to blossom very late and during blossoming time and later on there was no more (deep) freezing weather outside so most of the small fruits survived. During July it was so hot, humid and sunny the peaches developed very quickly. Now we had lots and lots of peaches and the tree did bend down under the heavy load. Each morning I picked a basket full of peaches and took them to my work place so my collegues could dig in. I even shipped some to my mother.
But now the end is near and today I picked the latest. Some peaches (about 2 kg) are still looking good and flawless but some (~1.5 kg) had insect bite marks all over. Wasps truely do love to eat soft-ripe and juicy peaches. They always start to gnaw holes into the peaches and other insects will follow in an instant. I decided to make good use of the damaged goods and prepared some jam. Therefore I just cut away the ugly patches after removing some ladybirds still having their peach or whatever dinner inside.
For the peach jam you don't need much ingredients:
200 g brown sugar
400 g preserving sugar
1.2 kg peaches
1 teaspoon orange-blossom-water (or a few drops bitter-almond oil)
First I made the caramel
I heated up the light raw sugar in a heavy pan and let the sugar melt while stirring until the color turned to a deep dark brown and it started to smell buttery and toasted.
I added 1.2 kg peaches (peeled, pitted, cut into smaller chunks and tossed with the juice of 1/2 lemon)
and stirred until the caramel became liquid again. I simmered the base for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I put in the blender and let the blender run for a few seconds to make the jam base smooth with only a few peach chunks left. Afterwards I added the preserving sugar (ratio 1:2) and stirred for about 4 minutes - jam still under a bubbling boil. There was only a little foam to be removed and the orange-blossom-water to be added before I filled and sealed 4 jars.