Samstag, 20. Juli 2013

Zucchini-tomato-salad with fried cheese

Just a quick summer dish:

Zucchini - tomato salad with fried Halloumi cheese

Today I harvested my first 3 zucchini. They are tiny, green and billard-ball shaped. All in all enough zucchini as in one medium small common zucchini.
I diced the zucchini in small dices (maybe 1cm x 1cm) and did the same with 3 tomatoes.
The zucchini went into a pan with a little olive oil - just to heat them up and I added 1 teaspoon chopped thyme and rosmary (only a few leaves) and tossed. When heated I filled the zucchini to the tomatoes into a bowl. I added:
  • 1 good pinch sea salt flakes
  • pepper, black, freshly ground
  • 1 teaspoon mild vinegar 
  • 1 finely chopped spring onion, 

tossed the vegetables and divided the salad to two deep plates and set aside.
In the pan, still hot from frying the zucchini, I fried 4 slices Halloumi (less than 1 cm thick)  from both sides until golden - there was no need to add any fat or oil because there was still some oil left and it was a non-stick pan (but it sticks a little...). I like to eat this chewy and sqeeky cheese very much. If you buy some, look out for a cypriote cheese made from goat/sheep milk only. We also like to put slices of Halloumi on the grill rack during BBQ or prepare some BBQ-skrewers with Halloumi and vegetables (bell peppers, mushrooms, onions for example).

The golden cheese slices went on top of the salad (3 for my husband, 1 for the miseerable person on diet / me)
I served the dish with baguette while the cheese was still hot.
I used up all of the tomatoes, this means I did not skin them and I did not remove the inner core with the seeds and liquids. If I would serve this dish to guests I would do these things and therefor add one more tomato. But because it was just for us two and I always prefer to eat a more juicy tomato salad  - it is so nice to dip the juices with bread, I had less work. Ready in a few minutes.

1 Kommentar:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Halloumi? Thanks for mentioning something I'm ignorant of.

I know how hard it is to cook (for someone else) when you are on a diet! (laugh)