Montag, 8. Juli 2013

White currant sorbet

Some refreshment on a summer day home made sorbet:


I harvested a 1.2 l bowl of white currants yesterday. It is always like a contest between the birds and me, we are waiting until the currants gained some sweetness. It is the question one will the birds strike, this year I was quicker. Last year I came home and the birds went beserk and ate up all of the berries in one afternoon - must have been a great party, sadly I was not invited. 

For the sorbet:
After rinsing the currants under running water (3 ants, 1 lightblue / green bug, a few spider) I stripped of the stems and put the berries in a pot with 1 additional cup water and 4 currant leaves. I simmered this for 5 minutes until the berries were soft and popped open. Afterwards I strained the berries and liquid through a fine mashed strainer, pressing the pulp to get as much juice as possible.

I filled the juice back into the cleaned pot after measuring: nearly 500 ml juice was the result. 1 added 3/4 cups sugar, whisked in 1 1/2 teaspoon agar agar (kanten), boiled the juice up again and let simmer for 2 minutes.

This I filled in a flat slightly elastic plastic container (tray), covered with cling film and let the juice cool down  completely.
Next step: I stored the container in the freezer and let freeze for 2 hours, after 2 hours I scraped the firmer juice with a fork and stirred and turned vividly. It put it back again and let it freeze for 1 hour, same procedure, scraping, stirring, turning. I put the sorbet back into the freezer and let rest over night. The other day I flipped the container over and put the ice on a board. I chopped the ice into rough pieces which I put into the blender. I blended this until the sorbet was smooth. Afterwards I put sorbet quickly back into the container and let it freeze again for 1 hour, again scraping with a fork, let rest 1 hour, scraping with a fork - done!!!! All this has to be done to make a really smooth sorbet. The ice crystals have to be destroyed.

I cut some very small white flat peaches into wedges and marinated the fruits in a little lemon sirup and mashed some mint leaves with brown sugar in a motar.
I filled some peaches in a bowl, put one scoop sorbet on top and added a little mint sugar.
This is incredible refreshing because the currants are not that sweet, together with the sweet peaches and the mint it is really something special - could eat lots and lots...

 

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

Yes, definitely white (or red) currants! Tangy and so refreshing... I have never tasted white currant sorbet, but it sounds like a creation a European chef might serve: creative, elegant and local!
I am impatiently waiting for black currants too because I love their aroma and they make the best home alcohol I know.
The white flat peaches seem an excellent company. I think they are becoming more and more popular (several years ago they were harder to find). Luckily.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Glad that you were quicker than birds this year. You must be very triumphant now.

Sadly, currants are not very popular in Japan, and I haven't had any currants, red or white, before.

So much work for making sorbet! The combination of currants, peaches, and mint sound extraordinary!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I wish I had more black currants but I always forget to plant some. The one I have is not enough.

Hiroyuki: I wonder why currants are not that popular in Japan, they should match the taste preferences.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Probably simply because currants are not native to Japan. According to Wikipedia, there are only two areas in Japan (Aomori and Nagano) where currants are grown (for commercial purposes, I guess).