Freitag, 5. Juli 2013

Green sauce - just simple german cooking

Today I prepared something very traditonal: Grüne Sauce (green sauce), potatoes in their jackets and vegetables (and some meatballs for my husband). I did not eat the meatballs but way more vegetables and I always like to eat leftover vegetables with the sauce as a cold dish. Very refreshing so I made a good amount.

Husband's plate

Grüne Sauce was once Goethes (famous german poet) most liked dish and his mother prepared it often.
The sauce (whitish blob in the middle of the plate), is traditionally made from hard-boiled eggs, oil, vinegar, salt, sour cream, and generous amounts of seven fresh herbs, namely borage, sorrel, garden cress, chervil, chives, parsley, and salad burnet (see the Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sauce). You can by these herbs at farmers market or frozen.

I must confess, my type of Grüne Sauce may not be the original one. I used some sort of lean creme fraiche and yoghurt instead of sour cream, yes, and lemon juice.

  • 400 ml sour cream but not the US american type, I used smetana
  • 125 ml yoghurt (not traditional)
  • 1/2 lemon, juice (not traditional)
  • big bunch of mixed greens (herbs) finely chopped
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, diced finely
  • 1 tablespoon capers, minced (not traditional)
  • salt
  • pepper
Just stir until well combined and let rest in the fridge for 2 hours before serving so the herbs can infuse their full flavor to the sauce.

I just steamed some vegetables, each by each to not mingle the tastes until no longer firm but still with some bite left:
  • 5 carrots, sliced into bigger slices
  • 4 celery stalks, peeled to remove the stringy threads, cut into pieces
  • 1 german turnip, peeled and cut into bigger stripes (reminding on french fries)
I sprinkled a little salt before steaming.

And I boiled very small young potaotes in their peels with a little salt.

I also made some meatballs from ground beef/pork. Too many for today but the leftover meatballs can be eaten tomorrow and I will freeze some too.
  • 500 g gound meat
  • 1 onion diced, softened in the microwave with a little butter
  • 1 big slice white bread soaked in red wine, finely mashed
  • a good pinch dried and rubbed majoram, chopped parsley would be fine too
  • salt
  • pepper
Just knead everything until well combined, form meatballs to your liking and fry in a pan with only a little oil. When well browned, cover with a lid, turn heat to very low and let simmer in it's own juices until done (5 minutes maybe, depends on the size and shape).
Using red wine gives a nice flavor and their is no egg in need.

Does not look spectacular and refined but it is soul food.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I previously learned about "green sauce" from your blog. I'd like to taste it some day, both traditional one and lean one like yours.

Steaming the vegetables one type at a time should take a lot of time, doesn't it?

Sissi hat gesagt…

Goethe's favourite sauce! I must taste it. It reminds me a bit of sauce gribiche, but I like chopped eggs in every single sauce.
In Switzerland they sell something called "sour milk" but actually it's light sour cream (the taste and the texture are the same, but there is less fat), so I use it instead.
Talking about Germany, I spent last Saturday in Freiburg (you have advised me this city once, remember? Thank you so much!). It is really beautiful and has everything for any kind of tourist: food, beer, wine, lots of clothes shops... I have had a very simple "pub" meal (schnitzel and potato salad), but it was good. The beer (white, my favourite kind) was excellent too. I have also discovered a great wine shop... In short, I will be going back there! It's closer than we thought.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I forgot so I posted about green sauce again. Hiroyuki steaming (on high temp.) is quickly done so the vegetables were done when the potatoes were cooked. The taste of celery is quite overwhelming and I don't like to eat carrots tasting like celery (laugh).

Sissi: I am so glad you enjoyed your visit in Freiburg. I like Freiburg very much and I really would like to live there. It is one of the cosiest towns in Germany, blessed with a nice surrounding and with the mildest and warmest climate.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Haha! This is what I told my husband too ;-) Whenever I visit a new city and like it, I ask myself if I would like to live there. It's a small city but has everything one needs, even in the very centre: I wouldn't have to drive anywhere to do my shopping. And of course it's beautiful. I also liked the fact that it looked quite green (many green spaces). And it's in an interesting wine region too.
It looked also definitely safer than where I live...