Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2013

Easy Brioches not too fat and sweet



Tomorrow I will have to work just for a few hours and after that I am on vacation. Therefore I prepared a small breakfast break "fare well and work hard" present for my collegues. I made a ton of brioches and will serve them with butter and homemade jams (currant, strawberry, quince). Actually it would be better to bake the brioches early tomorrow morning to serve them as fresh as possible but therefore I would have to pull an all nighter, so not going to happen.
Brioche is a french bread, just a smaller or bigger yeast dough bun or loaf, not too sweet but slightly buttry. A brioche always has a small head, a kind of round knob on top - sometimes bigger but most of the time destinct. I don't like to eat the commercial produced brioches because most of the time they are too sweet, fatty and with an ugly artificial vanilla taste.
Once in france I bought a brioche mold, 6 cup cake sized molds in one with the typical wavy shape. Not enough for the amount I planned to bake so I decided to use a cup cake mold to.

Cup cake sized brioches
For 20 brioches:
700 g flour
150 g butter, diced
300 ml milk
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cube fresh beer yeast (20 g)
2 eggs
+ 2 egg yolks
+ 1 egg yolk and a little milk for brushing  for egg wash
A few drops vanilla essence
12 saffron threads

Let saffron rest in milk for 1 hour.  Heat up milk and let butter get soft in the warm milk. Stir in vanilla essence, salt, set aside until bathing water warm.
Add flour and sugar and finely crumbled yeast to the baking bowl of the kitchen machine. Add the milk and eggs, egg yolk and let run on medium speed for 5 minutes. Let the dough rise for 1.5 hours until fluffy and doubled in size.
Punch down and fold the dough from every edge 2x.
Make 22 balls out of the dough. To get a smooth surface stretch the dough piece into a thick disc and fold the edges under and pinch them together.
Set 20 balls into forms.  Out of the 2 leftover balls pinch 20 small balls and set on top of the big balls.
Let the balls rise until nearly doubled in size (45 minutes), Brush with egg wash.
If there are not enough brioche molds at hand, bake in batches or use cup cake molds.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 180 C.

I used silicone molds and I greezed the molds with a little butter.



Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I envy your co-workers!
I want someone like you in my neighborhood, so I can have home-made bread, fresh from the oven!

I'm not familiar with beer yeast. Does it have an ability to make the dough double in size in 1.5 hours?

Sissi hat gesagt…

Beautiful mini-brioches! What I love most is one huge brioche filled with foie gras ;-) (Foie gras is raw before it's baked). I love it! Then it's usually only slightly sweet.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: yes this dough would do good with fois gras, but I don't have fresh one, only potted.

Hiroyuki, yes it has: when the temperatures of the ingredients are warm, the kneading took long enough and the room temperature is also cosy. Yeast loves a warm (not hot) and comfy surrounding.

Another way to have a much better rising and fermentation result is to put the dough into the fridge (over night) right after kneading, the bowl should be very big and covered with cling film. The other morning you punch the dough down, form the brioches and let the dough get room temperature. It will than rise again very well and the taste of the brioches is even better (slow rising method).