Sonntag, 30. Juni 2013

Stir-fried mustard greens and breaded pork cutlets

Today I harvested a lot of mustard greens from my raised bed (again). It is the same old mixture I saw in late spring. We have to eat "tons" because they grow a lot and the only way to keep the production ongoing is to cut the leaves down so new young leaves may sprout. Even the slugs did not manage to munch them all. They do like the chards way better. A few mustard plants managed to produce first blossoms. I picked those too.

raised bed

Lots of Mizuna

Summer squash blossoming
 Mustard green dish:
I separated stems from leaves and pickled the stems in salt while stir-fried the tender greens and blossoms to an aromatic quick side dish. I had to carefully watch each leaf before preperation to get rid of spiders, slugs, caterpillars and rape seed bugs because those proteins are not wanted and I washed the greens twice. That's a given if you try to grow organic food...
The plant mixture consists of a huge amount of mizuna, chard and purple chinese mustard. The chinese mustard has a very intense flavor and it's bitterness is getting more intense the larger the leaves grow. So I always keep the amount of purple mustard leaves small related to the other leaves. But the purple mustard blossoms and their upper tender stem parts are very delicious so I tend to let the purple mustard grow a little longer to harvest more blossoms. I just have to be careful not to let them grow to long or they will produce seeds and the next year I have to deal with purple mustard almost everywhere.

For the dish:
I just chop 1 small onion and 1 garlic glove and fry in little dark sesame oil in  a very large non stick pan After the onion is translucent and a little caramelized I add the rough cut leaves and stir. The leaves contain lots of water so they will shrink to mere nothingness (the same as in spinach). After the liquid is reduced I add a tablespoon sugar, some soy sauce and a teaspoon grated ginger and fry a few more seconds. At least I sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds. It needs a lot to fill a plate and that is a good thing, remember the thriving raised bed... This is tasty eaten hot or cold so it can be used for a bento snack the next day.
Today I made some cutlets too.

Aromatic mustard greens, breaded cutlet on rice
I dipped the meat slices in flour, in beaten egg (spiced), panko flakes and fried in oil. I made a very quick sauce using a few tablespoons yellow-plum-jam spiced with chinese 5-spice, rice vinegar, ketchup, dark soy sauce , worcester sauce and little water (reheated once until bubbly steamy).

Some more garden impressions, due to the very cold weather, last night we had 6 C only, the tomatoes are still small and green:


Found this guy, a tomato plant which is growing where I had placed some tomato pots last year, I wonder what it will produce: yellow or black or pink tomatoes or just a somehow red cross breed:


I also harvested the first beet root, boiled the roots until they were a little less firm (pinched with a fork), peeled and sliced with a mandoline. I just tossed the slices in vinegar, soy sauce salt and sesame oil and sliced young onion:

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I love the idea of your tonkatsu sauce! The mustard green dish sounds excellent too. Have you bought the seeds in Germany? I might maybe grow it next year... My mizuna has already started to flower (the disadvantages of a balcony I suppose: everything blooms too early), but I don't cut them. I wait for the seeds, so that I have more next year.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I bought the seeds in Germany at a home gardening center. I bought mustard green salad mix and plain mizuna seeds.
My green Perilla was eaten up and completely destroyed by slugs. Due to the rain (since months) there is a mass invasion of red slugs. I really should have bought 2 runners ducks, next year for sure.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Your raised bed is really crowded!

Yes, your tonkatsu sauce sounds very good (very creative to say the least).

My tomato and cherry tomato plants are in a similar condition. I will post about them in the near future in my blog.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hiroyuki: Yes the raised bed is crowded but everything is doing well so long. The reason for raised beds is to have more harvest in a way smaller space. If I would grow more root vegetables it would not work out this way, but salad greens is no problem at all.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Tonkatsu sauce: Husband would like to build a company selling my BBQ-Sauces something like Heinz (laugh). Besides I really like to prepare own Ketchup, dipping sauces and chutney. Lasts years yellow Ketchup was gone in a blink.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I also prepare my own ketchup. Nothing to do with the commercial one! As I wrote on Hiroyuki's blog my favourite invention is a kind of tomato Indian chutney. It keeps for at least two years and is perfect even with Japanese dishes (some of them at least).
Thank you for the tip. I might maybe look for mustard seeds in a seed shop next time I go to Germany...