Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013

Spelt focaccia and spicy date-cream cheese-spread

We had some heavy rain this late afternoon. Before the air was humid, hot and dense - felt like an upcoming thunderstorm. The whole day I was sitting in meetings and in my sticky office and worried about my car: I was not sure wether I left my rooftop open or not and the car was parked miles away in a parking lot in the suburbs. So there was no way to just walk out and get the problem fixed. Therefore I left the office very early while black clouds were quickly bulking up. Lucky the rooftop was closed (yes I am an idiot but I once left it open and therefore I had to ride on a very wet seat in a very humid car for 3 weeks) and I made it home before the rain started to pour down.

Leaving the office early left time to bake a bread: Spelt Focaccia with a nice spread. I often think focaccia was invented to take care of leftover pizza dough. But I never did some research about this theory.

slice with spread


Focaccia

First I prepared the dough:




  • 500 g spelt flour
  • 15 g dry instant yeast
  • 250 -300 ml warm water
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 50 ml pumpkin oil (roasted)
  • Flour for the hands


Topping:


  • 100 g olives (pitted black and green)
  • 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only
  • Black pepper, coarsely ground
  • 1 tablespoon pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Coarse sea salt


For dough put the ingredients in the machine and let run for 10 minutes at medium speed, the last 2 minutes a high speed.
The dough has to be smooth and very soft. Therefore it is important to add enough water. The dough should not build a firm ball around the kneading hook it should try to climb down the hook slowly.
Let rise, covered until doubled in size (it is better to let it rise for 1.5 - 2h) but time can be shortened by storing it in a warm surrounding.
On a floured board fold and stretch the dough a few times (yes it is sticky so don't overdue and use a spatule and flour powdered hands but don't add too much flour).Fold in some olives and rosemary. Form an oval loaf - dough should be soft but stayin shape (not transforming into a pancake). Punch it down with your fingertips over and over, a bit here and a bit there, add more olives on top and stick them into the loaf or they will fall out during baking . Sprinkle rosemary, pepper, pine nuts, coarse sea salt and drizzle some olive oil.  Let rise again until doubled. Time depends, maybe 45 minutes.

For a nicer fermentation it is better to prepare a small dough with 150 g flour, 100 ml water and 1 teaspoon yeast the night before. Add the other ingredients and prepare as described.

Heat the oven up to 200 C. Bake the bread for 10 minutes, lower the heat to 180 C and let bake for 20+ more minutes. It is done when the loaf is golden and the bread sounds like a drum when knocked.
Dough before second rising: 

I prepared a spread too. Two weeks ago Husband bought a freshly made spicy cream cheese at a turkish store, which tasted very good. It was called date cream cheese. We finished it quickly. 
Why no preparing it at home?! For the cheese spread I had to use common bland cream cheese. Sadly I had no fresh sheep or goat cheese, this would have improved the taste even more if I had mixed in some (maybe 50:50). But I was really very satisfied with the result:

  • 6 small dates (dried juicy dates without stones)
  • 150 g cream cheese
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 small pinch cumin (ground)  maybe1/5 teaspoon
  • 1 pinch Ras al Hanout (moroccan spice mix) maybe 1/3 teaspoon
  • 1/2 red birdeye chilli (without seeds)
  • Pulse in a blender until smooth


 



Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

Are you sure you don't live just across the street? I have had exactly the same weather today... I love focaccia but have never tried baking it on my own, and even less with spelt flour. Very intriguing but also very appetising. A Moroccan fusion focaccia in fact.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Next week we will have to face 30+ C maybe it will be the same in your area. Ah I wish I could take a few days off, but I have to do some business related journeys, so not funny.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for showing us another tasty-looking bread!

Spelt is another mystery to me. Have to taste it if I ever make a trip to Europe.