Sonntag, 2. Juni 2013

Sichuan style Tea-smoked duckbreasts

Today it was meat again, once in a while, sunday roast you know..
I smoked and grilled druck breasts (domestic ducks) and made some side dishes:
vegetable stew, fried chinese noodles with mustard leaves and stems, spicy plum sauce.

This is a duck breast fresh from the smoker, I cut one before - see the pink juices?


 The breast should still be pink inside to taste the best. You test the doneness of a duck breast with your finger as in searing steaks: there still has to be some softness and flexibility when the breast is pressed by your finger but not as soft as in medium rare steaks (steak: same softness as the base of your thump). Duck has to be a little bit more firmer to the touch.
Just don't eat it raw when you live in europe. Ducks sold here are as prone to salmonella disease as chicken. I hope they will start some immunisation campaign  on poultry the next years. I don't know why this is still forbidden. Since then you have to treat raw poultry in your kitchen the same as if you are working with infected material in a biohazard lab.

And this is my bowl, some sliced duck breast, vegetables and rice.


Some noodles, crispy at the lower side:


Vegetables stew:

Tea-smoked duck is something very interesting to prepare. It is much easier than it may sound but you should do it outdoors. There are tons of recipes calling for a wok, aluminium foil to be folded over the wok and a lid to keep the smoke inside the wok and it should be fine doing it in the kitchen, but believe me it is not! There will come the time where you finally have to open that wok and that is it: Hard to get rid of the smoke stench afterwards.

So I always do smoking outdoors using my fish smoker or the BBQ-grill. For smoking first thing you have to do is to prepare a smoke pack (besides heating up carcoals), a parcel folded from aluminium foil containing the wood chips or saw-dust. For tea-smoking you use crushed rice, crumbled tea leaves and brown sugar instead of wood.
For smoking:
  • 2-3 tablespoons rice (not the best quality just common rice will do)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons tea leaves (Oolong or green or black tea) I used chinese yasmine tea
I crushed the rice in my spice mill (using a motar should work fine too) and tossed with tea and sugar and put that mixture on a sheet of aluminium foil. This foil has to be folded into a lose but closed flat squared parcel. The upper side of the parcel has to be pinched with a fork a few times. The smoke will steam out of these holes later on.

The parcel has to be placed on red-hot charcoals, the grill rack above and the duck breast are placed directly over the parcel. Close the grill and let smoke about 15 minutes. Don't use too much charcoals just 1 shovel will do (depending on the size of your grill). I flipped the 2 breasts two times and set the breast side down for the last couple of minutes directly over the charcoal.

The duck breasts were seasoned before smoking:
1 tablespoon crushed sichuan pepper corns
1 good pinch chinese five spice powder
1 dash soy sauce
1 pinch chili flakes
1 teaspoon ginger juice

I sliced the skin side in a diamond shaped pattern, rubbed the breasts with the spice mixture and let the breast wrapped in foil sit in the fridge for 3 hours, 1 hour before grilling I took them out to get room temperature again.
If you don't like to smoke the meat you may prepare these seasoned duck breasts in a pan and oven or just pan. It will lack the smoke taste but it is good too.

I prepared the vegetables ahead:
Just bellpepper, egg-plant and carrot, sliced, stir-fried  with garlic and ginger added, deglaced with ckicken broth, cooking wine (sake), sugar, spiced with soy sauce and oyster sauce and the sauce thickened with arrow root starch. I did not measure anything.

For the noodles I had a portion / pack freshly made chinese noodles leftover. They only need 2 minutes in boiling water. I stir-fried some mustard leaves and spring onion slices and mustard leaf-stems in a mix of sesame-oil and cooking oil, with a little garlic and lots of ginger. Added the noodles, tossed and let them roast until chrunchy at the lower surface. I seasoned with soy sauce, salt, chili flakes, worcester sauce.

For the spicy plum-sauce I used:
4 tablespoons yellow plum jelly (home made)
1 teaspoon mild vinegar
1 teaspoon very hot sichuan chili sauce
1 small pinch chinese-5-spice

Just heated up and stirred.





Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

>There are tons of recipes calling for a wok, aluminium foil to be folded over the wok and a lid to keep the smoke inside the wok and it should be fine doing it in the kitchen, but believe me it is not!

Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep this in mind when smoking meat or something.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Tea smoking sounds fascinating. Pity I don't have a garden. I had no idea about the duck salmonella... In France everyone eats rare duck breasts... I haven't had them for years though (I always buy duck legs. Easier to cook ;-) ). Sichuan pepper sounds like an excellent idea for duck meat, now that I think... Maybe I can use it in some Sichuan dishes one day. Thank you for the inspiration.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes do smoking outdoors.
First I lived in a flat in the middle of the city with a small balcony attached. I put my fish smoker on the balcony to prepare tea-smoked duck and such. The smoker came with those small burners fueled with ethanol. Works pretty good. The smoker can be used on common gas stoves too but even with kitchen ventilation turned on to the max it smells.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have always assumed it is forbidden to smoke/grill on balconies here but I will check. It sounds like a good idea. Thank you.