Samstag, 8. Juni 2013

Rare cheesecake with strawberries




Today I did not bake anything. I just stirred something together, more or less

 

First I made a non-bake cake bottom:
  • 80 g (1 hand full) juicy dried dates, pitted
  • 3 tablespoons coarsely grouns peeled almonds
  • a few drops orange blossom water

I put everything in a blender and blended until a very thick sticky paste formed – if it is too sticky add more ground almonds.  I rolled the paste into a very thin cake layer using cling film and a rolling pin. Just put the paste between cling film and roll.
The date-almond layer went into a 20 cm spring form placed on parchment paper.

Next I made the filling:

  • 400 g Quark (40% fat in dry mass; 158 kcal /100 g, cream cheese is much more loaded)
    I used Quark produced in a traditional method made by hand. We have a dairy farm in our village community. One family produces milk, cheese, cream, butter and yoghurt since 500 years. They only produce organic products without any artificial flavors and won the price for best milk and butter the third time in row. After 500 years, after generations and generations, they do know how to make things perfect. Nowadays quark bought in supermarkets lacks flavor. They taste bland, sometimes watery. I guess the dairy farm uses other / own cultures because the taste of the quark is exceptional 100% “milk” with a small hint of sourness.
  • 200 ml cream (for whipped cream)
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ vanilla pod, seeds only
  • 5 gelatin sheets (the amount to firm ~500 ml liquid) I did not use powdered express gelatin because I did not have any in storage.

First I soaked the gelatin sheets in cold water. After the gelatin has soaked up some water and reminds on jelly fish, it has to be squeezed by hand to get rid of the attached water.
Now I whipped the cream until fluffy and stiff and I beat the quark with sugar and vanilla seeds until smooth.
The gelatin has to be heated up until it becomes liquid so I put the gelatin in a small pot and let it melt at medium low heat. I turned off the heat and mixed in 1 tablespoon quark and 1 tablespoon cream: The temperature of the gelatin has to be lowered and the gelatin has to be solved in a small amount of some other liquid before mixed into the colder quark. If you skip this the gelatin will form nasty gelatin lumps.
Next I mixed the gelatin into the quark using a balloon whisk and added the whipped cream. The whipped cream has to be folded very gently into the quark.
The quark cream went into the spring form. I covered the spring form with cling film and put the cake into the fridge. After 2 hours it is ready to be served.

Meanwhile I cut 500 g strawberries into halves or quarters - depending on their size, sprinkled a little sugar, stirred and let this sit for 2 hours.

For serving I just cut wedges and decorated with some strawberries. This cake is not too sweet and it tastes light and refreshing.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I like your cheesecake a lot, especially given the cream's presence ;-) Accidentally I have made individual strawberry cheesecakes today (nothing new; I make them every week since strawberries appeared), but without any crust (my lazy way to have an unbaked cheesecake...). I have always loved unbaked cheesecakes, especially when the weather was warm. My mum used to make them like you, as real cakes. Always with strawberries on top. Alas, she would cover them with strawberry jelly... I hated it and discared to eat my favourite cheese part ;-)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

It can be made much leaner using yoghurt and a more low fat quark but well nothing beats a little cream now and then (laugh). I didn't eat lots and interesting: mixed with quark I can eat whipped cream without any tummy problems.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Quark remains mysterious to me. I have to try it if I ever visit Europe.

"Rare" cheesecake is an all-time favorite of mine. Yours looks especially appetizing with lots of strawberries! Got to make soy milk-okara rare cheesecake some day! (I'm still struggling to get my weight down.)