Freitag, 28. Juni 2013

Kaiserschmarrn - emperor's srambled pancake

Today I just wanted something quick an filling for lunch. So I made Kaiserschmarrn for one person - me!
Kaiserschmarrn can be served for dessert but infact it is a meal with a long tradition in Austria and Germany. During plum season I it it with plum compote but most of the time I like to eat it with fresh strawberries or apricot compote.


For my small version (if you order it in a tourist spot you will be served with the double more amount) I used:

  • 1 medium egg, yolk and the white beaten to a stiff snow with a pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
  • a few drops orange blossom water
  • 1 sprinkle baking powder only a very small amount
  • oil with a little butter
  • icing sugar

In addition: some strawberries, a little plain yoghurt, pomgrenade sirupe

First I strirred orange blossom water, milk and egg yolk. I added the egg white and folded it in. Powdered with flour and baking powder and folded the flour in very lightly. Some add sugar to the batter, but this is way too sweet for me.

I baked a pancake in little oil and butter in a non-stick pan, until the surface was lightly golden but the upperside still wet, flipped it over and let it fry for maybe 30seconds and started to rip the pancake (more some kind of omelet) in smaller parts with the help of a spatule (2 forks can be used too). These parts I fried until they were golden while tossing them around the pan. The parts should stay fluffy, it is kind of tricky to tell when to stop frying, best hint is: there should be no more wet batter seen. When fried too long the schmarrn may be more browned and crisp but most of the time it is overdone and not fluffy but firm. The schmarrn has to be powdered with icing sugar and I added 6 sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons youghurt and sprinkled a little pomgrenade sirupe.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Kaiserschmarrn is quite interesting, the origin of the word and how to prepare it.
Separating the white from yolk and beating it sounds interesting, but judging from my experience, I wonder if this really contributes to the fluffy(?) texture of this dish.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Maybe fuffy is the wrong term, spongy texture might be better to describe the result. Stiff beaten egg white adds air bubbles to the batter. During baking on high temperature these bubbles will be closed in by a net of coagulated protein. If you bake too long this will end in a tough/stringy pancake but when it is cooked for the right amount of time and heat the pancake stays fluffy: airy and soft.
You may reach nearly the same result (concerning airiness) by adding more raising agents (baking powder) but this pancake will end as "hotcake" not the same taste and texture.

Sissi hat gesagt…

It reminds me of my favourite childhood breakfast: a thick pancake (exactly like yours: fluffly and made with baking powder) smeared with tangy violet plum jam...