Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2013

Japanese Summer dishes - sort of

Today it was humid and warm. I really did sweat a lot in my office because it is exposed to the sun all day long and tends to turn into a Sauna quickly. But it is so nice sipping on beer sitting in my garden, so no complaints., best time of the year for sure.
But I craved for something cold, so today it had to be cold dishes.

I prepared some japanese noodle salad. Probably not really japanese but with things I had in storage: (leftovers will be great tomorrow):

Hiyashi chuka
and marinated summer vegetables:
(no leftovers, husband finished them)

age-bitashi


Small filleted Sardines with Ume boshi
(a little leftover)

For the salad:

2 noodle nests fresh uncooked noodles ( I took chinese noodles pretty similiar to italian tagiatelle) 
100 g ham, sliced into strips  
1 egg 
1 tablespoon dashi 
1 spring onion, sliced 
1 shiso leaf, sliced 
Pickled ginger, sliced 
Chewy Sea weed

Dressing: 
3/4 cup sardine stock 
Soy sauce 
1 tablespoon sugar 
A few drops dark roasted sesame oil 
A little vinegar

Beat egg with dashi. In abig pan bake a thin crepe/omelet.  Cut the omelet into strips. 
Boil noodles for 2 minutes and drain in a sieve, rinse with cold water, drain again.
Stir dressing ingredients.
Put cold noodles in a serving dish, pour dressing over, arrange ham, omelet, ginger, onion, shiso and sea weed.

Vegetables:

1/2 eggplant (medium size), cut into quarters and halved lengthwise, skin sliced in narrow slices, stored in salted water
1/2 zucchini, sliced into rolled round chunks
12 okras, poked with a fork, rubbed with salt and rinsed, stem ends peeled
vegetable oil for deep-frying

Marinade:
1 cup dashi
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp mirin
1 tablesoon sake
1 tablespoon sugar
1 vinegar

Bring ingredients for marinade to a boil and simmer a bit (1 minute more or less), let cool. Pat dry vegetables with a paper towel. 
Deep-fry vegetables in oil at 175 C in a Wok or whatever:

Fry eggplant until cooked through with golden marks. Drain in a sieve layered on paper towels.
Fry zucchini until golden, add to the sieve. Fry okras until dark green and sizzling, let drain too (if they are not poked before they may burst). 
Add vegetables to the marinade and store in the fridge.

 Now up to the sardines:

I cleaned, beheaded and degutted 5 sardines, removed the backbone and the other bones too and trimmed the fillets. 
I am not that fond of sardine bones. Yes they are really tiny and thin as a hair but I don't like them.
 So I had some dirty job to do. I used my medium chef's knife.



After: nice clean and pretty:

Sardines filleted

I prepared them as Hiroyuki recommended but made a little more broth (for the salad dressing) and I simmered on very little heat for a short time only - maybe 5 minutes - with a drop lid on top. Afterwards I chilled them for 1 hour.
For recipe see Hiroyuki

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

All of these dishes for one supper?!

You can always boil spaghetti in a pot of water and baking soda if you like the flavor of ramen noodles.

And, you can always use your hands to prepare sardines. This technique is called te-biraki (手開き).

Do a search for いわし さばき方 on YouTube, and you will get lots of results.
For example, this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cju2k5e8Hw
explains how to prepara sardines using a knife first and then with hands.
This one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-as_Qqg6k0
explains how to do te-biraki.

But, I would say that removing the backbones and other tiny bones for this particular dish sounds mottainai (laugh).
The same goes for nanban zuke. Deep-frying aji for a relative long time, say 8-10 min., and marinating in a solution containing vinegar will make the bones soft enough to eat without a problem.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sardines: Yes, I cut off the heads and the bellies with the knife and I took out the nasty stuff and the backbones by hand.
For the bones, I especially hate the backbone particles scratching my tongue. I know, I know it is a waste...

Sissi hat gesagt…

You have made Hiroyuki's wife's sardines! I am so jealous.
I wil play with small fish when my new knife arrives :-)
It's so humid and hot now, I would kill for a portion of nanban zuke or these sardines... I must make some this weekend.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I hope your new knife will arrive soon. I am thinking about deep-frying the other sardines (bought 1 kg) upcoming weekend.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Do you freeze whole sardines? I freeze sometimes fish but only fillets... when I buy a big amount on special price.
I sent you an email (also about the knife) on Friday but I don't know if you have read emails since then or maybe it's in spam... It has already happened to me.