Sonntag, 23. Juni 2013

Farmers bread

Today I baked a so called farmers bread (in german it is called Bauernbrot) made from whole grain organic spelt, spelt sourdough, seeds.


Whole grain milled spelt flour is way darker then usual spelt flour. Common spelt flour doesn't look any different to allpurpose flour.
This kind of flour contains more healthy components as minerals, vitamins so it is highly recommended but it tastes different and the texture will also be quite different to typical soft breads.

I had to face some problems with my own grown sourdough - went bad caused by a journey and some temperature problems. I simply forgot to put it in the freezer.
Before I am going to raise a new one I thought I should try a store bought organic sourdough. And I dare say it is not bad at all, I may stick with this. It is just dried and powdered spelt sourdough without any other ingredients than spelt.



For the bread I used

750 g organic spelt flour (made from whole grains, finely milled)
1 pack organic sourdough
1/2 cube fresh beer yeast (~10 g)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon ground caraway seeds
150 g mixed seeds: pumpkin, sunflower, crushed linnen seeds, pine nuts, crushed hemp
350 -400 ml water, lukewarm

I put everything in my kitchen machine and let it run for 7 minutes on medium speed. Afterwards I let the dough rest and rise for 5 hours.
After 5 hours I knocked it done and streched/folded the dough on a baking board with little flour and formed a round loaf, sprinkled some flour on top and covered with cling film. The dough was a little too soft so during the second rest and rise period (1 hour) it spread and rised a little too much and  therefor the shape turned out a little too flat. Maybe I should have used less water for a free formed round loaf, the typical shape of a farmers bread. Anyway I should have baked it in a square tin form but that is not farmers bread at all.
Anyhow I managed to deal with the flat loaf and baked the bread on a baking sheed for 1 hour and maybe 15 minutes (I made the knocking test after 1 hour and decided it did not sound well baked enough so it went in the oven for a few more minutes).
First I put the dough into the oven at 200 C. Before I had placed a flat casserole form with a cup of boiling water in the oven for some steam induction. After 10 minutes I dropped the baking temperature to 180 C.
The bread went out nicely. The texture is as hoped for: not dry or crumbly and the taste nutty and a little sweet without much sournes - just hearty, and a crunchy crust. Yummy with butter and some sea salt flakes.





Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

It looks like from a professional bakery! It would be great with my herring salad ;-)

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Wow, that looks like another example of authentic German bread that I'd like to try! Organic sourdough, beer yeast, caraway seeds??? Mouth-watering!