Freitag, 31. Mai 2013

Vegetarian wrap with tofu-lentil balls

Husband doesn't want to eat meat (lots of) anymore so I am going to prepare more vegetarian meals, must adapt...
I had still some (100 g) tofu leftover and thought about how to make good use of it.
My idea was to have an arabic inspired wrap with something like falafel inside.
Falafel are deep-fried balls made of ground chickpeas.
I decided on fried balls out of red lentils and tofu - a totally different thing but as nice as falafel.


Wrap full of goodness..

Some Tofu-lentil balls so nice I ate 2 from scratch
For the other fillings of the wrap I made:
  • tomato salad
  • egg-plant-parsley salad
  • onions salad
  • grilled and peeled bellpeppers
  • minty yoghurt sauce
  • some salad greens


How to meatless lentil-balls:

  • 100 g firm and dry tofu
  • 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon mushroom sauce
  • 1/2 cup red lentils (dry seeds)
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1 small spring onion, chopped
  • salt, smoked chili pepper
  • 1 garlic glove

First I pureed the tofu together with the onion and garlic and seasoned with a teaspoon dark soy sauce and some thick mushroom sauce (both chinese).
I boiled the lentils in the water (without salt) for 10 minutes, sieved the lentils to get rid of as much water as possible and mixed this with the spices and tofu - just using the blender a bit..
I stirred in the chopped spring onion and let this mixture sit for 1 hour, covered, in the fridge.

Next I heated up an good amount of oil in a deep pan and formed flat balls out of the lentil-tofu mix (10 pieces).
I semi-deep-fried (no swimming lession) the balls for a few minutes until golden browned. The balls are very tender and fragile when becoming warm so I flipped them over very carefully and only once. 
I transfered the balls on kitchen towels and let them cool down. They will become firmer (a little) when cooled.
This was my first attempt of preparing lentil-tofu-balls, just an idea and it turned out as nice as thought.

Next I made the egg plant salad:
  • 1 long and very slender light lilac egg plant (asian egg plant)
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • salt
  • 5 parsley sprigs, chopped roughly
  • chili flakes
  • 1 very small pinch cinnamon
  • small pinch cumin
  • black pepper
  • lemon juice
  • olive oil
I cut the egg plant into round slices, sprinkled with salt and let sit a few minutes. Afterward I fried these in olive oil until well roasted. I added the chopped onion too when the egg plants were medium done.
I caramelized with sugar and added the roughly chopped tomatoes and simmered, adding a little water until the egg plants were soft.
I seasoned with salt, pepper, chili, cumin, cinnamon, lemon juice and tossed with parsley.


For tomato salad
  • 5 medium cherry tomatoes, sliced
  • a few onion rings (see onion salad)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • a little balsamic vinegar - a dash
Not much to say, just toss.

For onion salad

  • 1 big red onion, sliced with a mandoline
  • 1 pinch sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • olive oil
 Soak onion slices in lots of cold water for 10 minutes, squeeze dry, toss with sugar, salt and olive oil


 For bellpeppers:
Just cut bellpepper into flat wedges and grill the skin sides until charred. Peel of the skin after cooling.

Yoghurt sauce

  • 125 ml yoghurt
  • 1 small garlic glove, crushed and minced (in salt)
  • 5 mint leaves, sliced (I used chocolate mint, a mint plant with a nice little chocolate smell and sweet flavor)
  • 1 pinch cumin
  • 1 pinch salt
 Just stir.

For the wraps I used arabian flat breads / wheat tortillas, heated up in the microwave until hot and soft.
First I spread yoghurt sauce with a little Harissa (chili paste), sprinkled onion salad, tomato salad, egg plant salad, put 2 lentil balls in the middle and a few salad leaves and bellpepper wedges. Wrapped it up and finished. The lentil balls will get crushed due to the wrap-up process but this does not matter. They taste very good just dipped in the yoghurt sauce too.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

>Husband doesn't want to eat meat (lots of) anymore

It's interesting to know that this sort of physical change can occur to Western people, too.

Your yogurt sauce sounds both tasty and healthy. My wife once made a very heavy yogurt sauce (basically yogurt + cheese (+ mayo?), if I remember correctly) by exactly following a recipe that she learned from a TV cooking show.
None of my family, except my wife, liked it.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

What I did was a basic yoghurt sauce. The yoghurt has too be very tasty on its own to begin with: creamy thick texture and not watery lean. I also like to eat the greek version of yoghurt sauce called Zaziki: you grate peeled and decored cucumber into this basic sauce.

Husband feels just a little sorry about the animals but not too much. As long as he doesn't know them personaly he is still fine with a meat dish, but he likes to eat my vegetarian dishes too. So he said it would be nice not to eat much meat anymore (also from an environmental and ethical point of view).