Dienstag, 28. Mai 2013

Thai fish curry - not that pretty

 I am not a good food fotographer and I have no ambitions to become one., but I guess to take a snap shot of curry is always a little bit challenging.
Now up this one, I know, I know it looks like a mess:
 
Today I made a spicy Thai infused curry based on coconut cream, mustard leaves, crispy baby bok choy and salmon. It got lots of inner beauty but it definitly will not win any beauty contest.

I love to make those kind of curries because I can use nearly everything out of my fridge to make one except coriander greens. Would be perfect too but my husband hates the taste and he is also not that much into lemon grass so I always use kaffir lime leaves only and lemon juice instead.

For the curry (3 persons):
1 red onion, sliced into wedges - spring onion would be fine too but they did not look that good so I did not buy any
6 baby bok choy, halved, leaves cut off, stem parts sliced
2 handfull mustard leaves, Mizuna, purple chinese mustard, some baby chard leaves (out from my garden) roughly chopped in big pieces
1 knob ginger, minced
1 tablespoon freeze dried shrimps, roughly chopped
1 red small Thai chili sliced
1 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
1 kaffir lime leaf (additional 1 lower stalk piece of lemon grass, minced and put into a motar would be perfect too)
8 leaves Thai basil (or sprigs coriander greens)
2 garlic gloves (1 minced, 1 sliced )
1/2 lemon, juice
1 good heaped teaspoon flour
200 ml coconut cream
300 ml water
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 teaspoon Nam Pla
3 pieces salmon (450 g) tail ends, without skin and deboned
Chili fish sauce, a few drops  only
salt
dark sesame oil
oil

 First I crushed the ginger, shrimps and 1 minced garlic glove in a motar - lemon grass could be added too. I roasted this with curry paste in a big pan in a little oil and added the bak choy stems and stir-fried a little. After the stems turned bright light green I added the leaves vegetables (bak choy and mustard) and stirred until the juices were evaporated. This went quickly. I removed the vegetables from the pan and added a little sesame oil and fried the onions until they turned roasted and glossy. I stirred in flour, fried it a little and deglaced with the coconut cream, still stirring well. After this sauce base got very thick I added the water until it reached sufficient thickness (not too thick not to runny ) and spices: palm sugar, chili, lime leaf, leon juice and let simmer for a little while.
I added a pinch of salt and Nam Pla and placed the salmon, cut into 6 pieces, into the simmering curry sauce and let this rest on low fire for a 2 minutes only. I added the greens and tossed. The fish should stay glossy pink inside. Last thing to do was adding the basil leaves roughly torn into pieces.
I adjusted the seasoning with salt and Nam pla and a little chili fish sauce.

Served with Basmati rice and a spoon.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You don't have to be a good photographer to cook good dishes. I have no intention to become a good photographer myself, either.
I can imagine that your curry tastes good by reading your description.

You are very creative and imaginative when making curry (and other dishes). Sadly, I can't be because if I were, my children would complain... They want their curry to be the same (potato, carrot, onion, meat (pork), and store-bought curry roux).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

My son was always a non-picky eater. Lucky..

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I think your curry looks and sounds very appetising. The messier, the better ;-) I often think that many dishes look better in a pan than on a plate (like curry...) but then I don't know how to take night photos so I leave the pan alone...