Montag, 20. Mai 2013

Spare rib BBQ for lazy people

Yesterday we had a BBQ: just spare ribs, noodle salad and tomatoes with basil leaves and italian mozarella cheese. 

Some was quickly tossed together:
salads

For the noodle salad I stir-fried a bunch of green asparagus spears cut into 4 pieces each and thick spears cut lengthwise. I used a mix of olive oil and a little sesame oil. Than I added a bunch of mustard leaves (red and green and purple), 1 green Thai Chili sliced in very thin rounds and after 3 minutes I added a tablesoon sugar, salt and a sip black chinese soy sauce and a sip malt vinegar. Done with it.
I tossed short makaroni pasta with this (125 g dry pasta).
I spinkled some red chard sprouts just harvested before and a little more sesame oil (dark roasted).

For the tomatoes:
I cut a few tomatoes into slices: green zebras, black cherry and yellow and red cherries tomatoes, placed some sliced mozarella cheese and a handful basil leaves, sprinkled seasalt flakes, black pepper and date balsamico (vinegar made with date molasses).

For the ribs:
spare ribs
This took quite some time but is very easy to prepare.
I decided to slow cook the ribs in the oven beforehand otherwise it would have been too much of a hassle to feed the smoker with charcoal for 6 hours (my apology to all the earnest BBQ lovers outthere).

I seasoned the ribs with a rub of mustard, cajun spice mix, 3 minced garlic gloves, salt and soy sauce and wrapped the rack of ribs in aluminium foil. The ribs went into the oven at 100 C for 4 hours. Meanwhile I did all the things I wanted to do as making the laundry, having a long nap, taking a stroll into the garden...

After this I placed them on the grill rack over piping hot charcoal but first I gave them a wet rub made of apple sauce and honey and a little bit more soy sauce just to glaze them nicely. I grilled them on both sides until browned and crunchy. This was my first attempt to prepare ribs with the oven and grill and it went out nice.
They were soft and juicy and just as spicey as wished for. But I missed the smoking flavor. Next time it is better to smoke them a little beforehand with the help of some applewood chips and place them into the oven afterwards.
Husband drank some beer and I went along with wine and was pretty drunk so I had to go to bed early, shame on me.

I prepared 2 racks so we can enjoy the ribs today too, just sliced and eaten cold with leftover noodle salad. Another day to laze around (we enjoy the second day of Pentecost holidays).

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I'm not a big fan of a typical Japanese BBQ, which is just grilled (often overcooked) meat and vegetables, but your spare ribs and salad look very appetizing!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Thanks. Yes we do love BBQ and are inspired by the american BBQ culture. Most of the time people here just put some sausages and a few thick cut and fatty pork cutlets over the charcoal, dark grilled, dry and overdone. Or you see BBQ friends who fullfill their tasks like serving a religion. Traditionally it is the man doing the BBQ. Husband bought some books about BBQ but he is not that much into it: eating yes, doing it no. But he likes to help out under my supervision and guidance (laugh).

Sissi hat gesagt…

Ribs are my favourite pork cut. If only I could have them more often... I would cook them at least once a week! The only way I have been preparing them is the Chinese soy sauce and star anise braised recipe, but I wish I had a grill and could prepare your delicious ribs one day... Maybe I could bake them as you did and then put under the broiler in the oven? I must experiment!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: Yes this should work too. It will lack the special charcoal taste, but it will taste good. There are trillions of people doing grilling with a gas burner grill only.