Samstag, 18. Mai 2013

Rusk - had to prepare some too

Mark posted about the latest japanese food craze called シュガーラスク Sugar rusk. 
Double toasted bread is something each german child knows since very early childhood. It is called Zwieback (double baked) There is even an Wikipedia article available about german Zwieback.
Babies enjoy their first Zwieback to gnaw on for theething matters (it really helps..) or have ground Zwieback mixed with freshly ground apple as a small lunch which is easy to swallow and nice to the little stomach.  Therefore in former times Zwieback was plain, no sugar coating, no chocolate coating, plain bread. Now there are still the plain ones in the shops out there but also different kinds of sweet "cookiesome" treats.
As to be seen here: http://www.brandt-zwieback.de/minis
Brandt is the most famous and oldest Zwieback-producer in Germany. They are running a Zwieback museum too.

But I never, really never made Zwieback on my own and now the time was up. I used Marks recipe and made some changes - as always...
I escpecially love Brandt's Zwieback coated with lots of coarse brown sugar and aniseeds. So I prepared it: 

very crisp brown sugar- aniseed - rusk
I had a german poppy seed roll called "Mohnbroetchen" leftover in storage from 2 days ago. Usually this roll would end up as bread crumbs and now it was on it's way to become something totally different. It was just a typical white bread roll as to be seen here http://www.heislitz.de/mohnbroetchen.html.
A little german language lession: Brot is the term for bread and broetchen means very small / cute bread. The word ending "chen" is a diminutive, we germans use lots of diminutives. It always puts something into a small and cute form.
I sawed the "small and cute" bread into thin slices using my bread knife. Mohnbroetchen are not that bubbly as baguette. The texture of the bread is a little bit more dense but flexible.
For the fattening ingredient I used a mix of butter and olive oil. Much more tasty than butter only, because I know a spanish sugar coated double baked sweet treat made of olive oil and some very flat and crisp puff pastry. So I went along with this in mind.
I used a few spoons melted butter and the same amount of olive oil.
First I brushed the bread slices with this mix than I dipped the slices into granulated brown sugar and sprinkled aniseeds - just a few pinches and some fleur the sel: fine seasalt flakes.
Yes, sugar and a little salt. It is magic...

bread sliced oiled and dipped into sugar
I put the slices on a baking rack placed over a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. The parchment paper will help to keep the baking sheet clean.

bread slices on their way
 The slices were baked for 10 minutes by surround heating system at 170 C. I didn't took my eyes from the oven because the bread slices were getting golden brown really quickly.

double baked bread roll slices
There we are: finished and a little blurry due to the heat.

I ate 2 of this crisp little friends hot out of the oven and let the rest cool down on a rack. Afterwards I stored them in an air-tight container. Guess we will finish them in a blink.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for the German language lesson (laugh)! Maybe I could be fluent in German by reading your blog!

In Japan, rusk has been around for decades, and the recent fad is said to be due to GATEAU FESTA HARADA
http://www.gateaufesta-harada.com/app/home.html
which manufactures rusks by using French bread suitable for rusk.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I try to be fluent in Japanese using your blog but I think this will take me some decades too.
Yeah, nothing really special about rusk. I always wonder how people manage to make a fad out of some old stuff but it works. The older I get the more I think there is nothing new on earth.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I'd rather go for pan no mimi パンの耳 (bread crust), the crust of Japanese shokupan, which you can get very cheap. (Some bakeries offer it for free if you ask them.)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Breadcrusts? Bakeries don't cut the crust off from the bread. Never seen such a thing here. Maybe because we don't live in a country with a sandwich culture and therefore bakeries don't bake this special sandwich bread. Sandwich bread is made by bread factories only and sold in super markets. It is already sliced, wrapped in a plastic bag and called Toastbrot, crust still on. But there are producers which make boxed sandwiches too. I wonder what they do with the crust. Is it still on? Never bought such a thing so I don't know.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

You can do just a lot of things with pan no mimi. You can simply have it as a snack, use it in cooking, and make snacks with it, including rusks!
Do a Google image search for パンの耳, and you will see what it will look like.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Ah now I see it, is the same as what we call Toastbrot.
http://www.adpic.de/lizenzfreie_bilder/Lebensmittel/Brot/Toastbrot_100574.html

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Toastbrot? I learned a new German word from you (laugh). Similar to pain de mie in France and sandwich bread in the United States, I suppose.

It's called shokupan (食パン) in Japan, and it's a standard type of bread in Japan. You will be disappointed in the varity of bread when you come to Japan. German-style bread is much less popular here.

Obviously, pan no mimi is a byproduct of making sandwiches.
Yamazaki, the larget bread maker in Japan, sells a special type of sandwich, called Lunch Pack.
http://www.yamazakipan.co.jp/brand/02_03.html
Pan no mimi of Lunch Pack is mostly used as livestock feed, but
Yamazaki recently started to make a snack, Choi Paku Rusk, using the mimi:
http://rocketnews24.com/2012/11/25/269707/

I'm no fan of Lunch Pack!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Incredible! I have just read the post you have linked to... It's crazy how much it costs in the place mentioned on the blog. People will pay a fortune if you convince them the product they buy is worth it ;-)
I know there are now some French bakeries in Tokyo and in Kyoto (maybe in other cities too?). I have seen recently a tv program about a French baker in Japan.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I have seen some documentaries too about bakeries in Japan. They are really into french pastries and bread. And the prices are rather high. Yes you could make a fortune as long as there are enough customers able to pay for it. I think you could make a fortune in China too. Found only a few bakeries in Beijing.
I made a salty version of rusk too. Thin slices of baguette dipped in olive oil mixed with minced garlic and dried herbs and chili flakes. Husband said I should make tons and he will take over the selling and management part.