Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2013

Healthy sandwich bread

Today I baked a bread which can be used to be eaten roasted or to make sandwichs. It contains lots of fibres and proteine.
If you look at the ingredients, you may think this bread is some kind of weired, crazy combination, but believe me, it is tasty and the texture soft, flexible, small bubbles only and the slices don't crumble away.

bread slices still warm with cheddar

I made one mistake concerning the baking tin. The baking tin is usually adjustable in size but somehow it did not work today. The tin should have been shorter (lengthwise) so that the bread shape could turn more square. Maybe I can fix it next time. Right now I am not satisfied with the bread shape, kind of flat.

loaf

Ingredients:
  • 250 g wheat flour (allpurpose I suppose)
  • 150 g spelt flour
  • 100 g fine rolled oats
  • 60 g linseeds (curshed)
  • 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
  • 100 g firm Tofu, finely mashed
  • 100 g butter, soft melted
  • 450 ml milk, warm
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 parcel instant yeast (for 500 g flour)  and 1 teaspoon instant yeast
  •  Milk for brushing

Add  all ingredients to your kitchen engine bowl and let run for 10 minutes at medium speed.
Dough is sticky and soft but not too soft. Let rise (bowl covered with clingfilm) until doubled in size (1 hour).
Punch down the dough and layer in a tin form for bread. My form is non-stick so I greezed it only a little.
Let dough rise again (covered) until doubled (45 min - 1 hour). Brush with milk.
Bake at 200 C for 10 minutes and 180 C for another 35 - 40 minutes.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Being an avid reader of your blog, I'm fully aware that you are a great baker.

I often wonder about what you call kitchen engine bowl. Does every home in German have such a tool/gadget/machine?

If I had a machine like yours, and an oven, my attempts to make sakadane bread would be much easier, I suppose.

I'm quite interested in German bread, and have learned a lot from a Japanese woman living in Germany
http://yuko-shimbara.de/shokuhin/shokuhin.html
(Japanese only)
and, of course, from your blog.

There is not a single bakery that makes authentic German bread here in my small city, though.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I am not that great at baking elaborate german breads (because I am lazy..). It is really just common "hausfrau" baking. If you would like to bake great breads this private website from a german Hausfrau is the best (sorry in german)
http://www.petras-brotkasten.de/.
Concerning the kitchen tool, it is a machine for mixing, kneading and blending. Only for people who really like to bake very often:
http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-INT/All-products/Kitchen-Machines/Chef-and-major/
because it is huge and heavy. I think we germans like machines a little bit too much (laugh) so they are quite common in kitchens (from other producers too, Kitchenaid and such)

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for the link, anyway. I bookmarked it so I can learn both German and bread making (laugh).

As for machines, the Japanese like them a lot, too, but we tend to like small-size, handy ones that can fit nicely in Japanese small houses/kitchens.

The Japanese are into "home bakeries", kichen machines that can automatically bake bread from scratch. Sophisticated ones like GOPAN
http://panasonic.jp/cooking/gopan/
can make rice bread from uncooked rice grains.

I'm thinking of buying a much cheaper one (around 6,500 yen). But, first, I have to talk to my wife. (That's usually the most difficult part...)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Ah yes, I once had a home bakery machine too (german name Backautomat) but switched back to my kitchen machine and oven (I like the breads crusts baked in an oven better). You can buy "ready to go" bread mixes (looks just like a bag of flour) at german super markets, perfectly suited for those kind of machines. Just fill the mix in your machine, add water and set the timer, select the program and leave it.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, it looks delicious, but unfortunately I cannot have wholemeal or/and bread with grains too often. I digest it very badly... Though I buy such bread from time to time and like it with taramosalata or pickled herring or egg salad... Never in closed sandwich. (A closed baguette sandwich is my favourite if it's a good baguette!).
I once talked to a French doctor who wasn't surprised and said that she digests such bread badly too (I have problems with oats too...). Apparently, unless someone is used to such a bread since childhood, it's possible that it's badly digested and she advised me to stick regularly to French baguette and such, but with unbleached good quality flour from a real baker (which is the bread I could eat every day at every meal till the end of my life... French bread with crunchy crust, slightly moist inside, big holes is my dream bread). I have recently met an Asian woman who has the same issue.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi, you may laugh but I have issues with whole grain bread too. Some grain skins contain a allelochemical based protection against insects so called secondary metabolites. I guess this is what makes them hard to digest. Therefore my bread contains no whole grain flour (no skins) but some easy to digest grains as linseed. Linseeds will just walk through your body (laugh).