Samstag, 25. Mai 2013

First harvest: salad greens

Today I picked a bowl baby salad leaves growing in one of the new raised beds, based on the asian salad mix seeds (mizuna, purple chinese mustard and more).  The weather is wet and the snails and slugs are buisy so I always have to be quicker then the pests.
I detected this cutie at my lime tree:


Now I am a little concerned about my strawberries. Guess the slimy breed will just dig in the next days, because the rain will not stop -  going on and on for the next days.
They already have eaten up lots of day lilies but did not detect the raised beds yet. We had very cold nights during the last week (snow in the mountains) so I covered the beds with protection fleeze. Maybe it helped against the snails and slugs too.
But now to the harvest:

Mustard leave salad with strawberries

I made a quick salad using:
1 medium bowl salad greens
a few strawberries, sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced and soaked in water /squeezed
1/2 baby cucumber, finely sliced

For dressing (just stir):
1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
a little salt
pumpkin seed oil (only a little)
black pepper



Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Strawberries so big already? Mine are in bloom now, and it will take one month for them to fully grow.

Slugs! I hate them! I tried to fight them off using coffee grounds
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.jp/2009/05/strawberries-and-slugs.html

But, after all, I resorted to a pesticide:
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.jp/2009/06/metaldehyde.html

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I always sprinkle ground coffee beans (after brewing) in my garden. Guess the slugs are on a caffeine high most of the times. I also sprinkled granuled slug poison but it is an envrionment friendly pesticide - too friendly maybe.
And I am a very viscious slug killer, me and my rose scissor...