Mittwoch, 8. Mai 2013

Asparagus pancakes and wild edible plants

Today I made pancakes. Pancakes in Germany are not only some sort of sweet dessert but a common "salty" dish for lunch. Whatever comes along aside with the pancakes depends.
I decided on italian ham (Prosciutto cotto), white asparagus and a herbal sauce / dressing made from wild plants.
Roll up and enjoy...

herb sauce

For the pancakes I used 1 egg and 2 tablespoons spelt flour (for each big pancake) with a little milk and salt. The batter is a little bit thick and not as runny as a batter for crepes. Just stir together until smooth and let sit 30 minutes.  Afterwards bake big pancakes and place some ham on top.
I cut 500 g white asparagus in slices and stirfried in a little oil until golden. I added a pinch salt and a teaspoon sugar and caramelized the lot. This has to be placed on to of the ham and than there comes the herbal dressing.

For the herbal dressing I used the following weeds I found in my garden on a 5 minutes run (have to do some weeding soon I guess):

From up to down:
Some leaves Rumex acetosa (Sauerampfer) - about 8 leaves, Plantago lanceolata (Spitzwegerich) 5 leaves,
Small flowers: Myosotis (Vergissmeinnicht) - blossoms, Bellis perennis (Gänseblümchen) - buds and blossoms, Cardamine pratensis (Wiesenschaumkraut) blossoms and soft leaves.

edible wild plants

From left to right:
Up: Aegopodium podagraria (Giersch),  Catnip mint (Poleiminze), Glechoma hederacea (Gundelrebe)
Down: Alliaria petiolata (Knoblauchrauke), Geranium pusillum - the buds and blossoms only,  


edible wild plants
I took a handful Alliaria petiolata - only young and tender plants picked before blossoming. This plant tastes a little bit like spinach with garlic, way milder than wild garlic. I took only a few leaves Glechoma hederacea (Gundelrebe), because it tastes very intense reminding on thyme, rubbed leaves smell wonderful, but it is a little bit poisonous. Half a handful Aegopodium podagraria, very young leaves only with soft stalks, those taste like a mixture of carrot and parsely, very intense flavor the older the worser it gets.

I also added some young chives and 2 short sprigs Levisticum officinale (Liebstöckel).

The herbs were chopped and mixed with a 2 teaspoons mild vinegar, salt and 4-5 tablespoons olive oil.
This is the book which decribes the plants above and many more - it is really great:




Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for showing us your book, as well as your herb sauce! The scientific (and German) names for these herbs are somewhat intimidating, but when I searched for the Japanese names for them, I found many of them are familiar to me too.

Yes, I know some wild plants are poisonous. Bracken fern contains a carcinogen, but the Japanese eat it after subjecting it aku nuki (harshness removal). As you may know, Rumex acetosa (sorrel) contains oxalic acid, and should be consumed in small quantities.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Fascinating post, Kiki. You have a big plants knowledge! I live in the city centre and rarely go to the countryside, so I don't pick wild flowers but as a child I remember I used to munch on many wild flowers that my grandmother told me were edible. I particularly liked ones that after the flowering season developped tiny "breads".
I had no idea forget-me-not was edible!
The pancake looks delicious. I have always preferred savoury pancakes.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Pity I don't speak German: the maximum I found in English or French were 200 plants (and they boast about the huge number of plants covered ;-) ). Nothing compares to your jewel! I have found (translated into French a concise version by these German authors but only 200 plants....).
I'm looking forward to read about your foraging adventures!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi Sissi: Yes the book is great and the authors have a scientific background so they are trustworthy.