Montag, 6. Mai 2013

2000 edible wild plants

I just read an article about a new book which gained lots of recommendations:
Steffen Guido Fleischhauer/Jürgen Guthmann /Roland Spiegelberger:
„Enzyklopädie Essbare Wildpflanzen“ - Encyclopedia on edible wildplants (of middle Europe)

This book describes about 2000 edible plants to be found in Middle Europe -  how to find them, how to identify, nutrients and interesting substances (e.g. health issues), even culinary uses are included with descriptions of taste and texture and so on.  I cannot believe it. I thought I was quite good in botany and know a lot about edible wild plants or wild plants for pharmaceutical use but 2000? I did never count them all but thinking about common herbs, the use of blossoms and wild root or leaf vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts or edible tree leaves there must be lots. I am going to buy it and see what can be found in our area for some wild plant meals...

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I'd like to know more about the book and your future adventures!

I hope the book also describes poisonous plants and how to identify them!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Bought it today. It is a bible, about 2 kg Paper?! Just detected a few plants growing in my garden (weeds) which are edible and I did not know. There is a section about heavy poisonous plants and each plant is rated from not poisonous to very poisonous in 4 steps. 4 star plants are very good if you want to get rid of someone.

Sissi hat gesagt…

The book sounds incredible. I don't think I have ever seen a book about so many wild plants... I really must start foraging and buy myself something similar.