Mittwoch, 20. März 2013

Spring arrived

Today I am on a little journey. It is officially the first day of spring, but look at this:
Men are removing snow from the gate roof (glass ceiling) at Berlin central station. Tons of snow, men in mountain climber gear, dangling at ropes and shoveling. Outside there were signs: Danger roof avalanches. Springtime in Germany.
Do you see the small green shovel in the middle? This was right above my head.



And the guy in the middle? A long way to go..

 

Update
And it did not stop snowing. Arriving in Potsdam it started to snow even worse.
At the evening we went dining out and visited the Holländer Viertel (Dutch quater). We ate at the Fliegender Holländer (Flying dutchman) see a virtual walk. A very old and traditional restaurant with a nice feeling. They even had the fire place lit up - best thing to do this evening! I had a very tasty tomato polenta with oven baked vegetables spiced up with some pesto, collegues pork roast stuffed with plums and dumplings or steamed fish with mustard sauce, pork leg jelly and roasted potatoes - very good. After dinner the traffic had almost stopped, the snow kept piling up. We had a good laugh looking into a store decorated all over for summer fun with colorful beach wear.
I ruined a pair of shoes on my way back to the hotel.



Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I don't know what to say... Spring has come to this snowry region of mine. Snow is melting rapidly. But, snowfall is expected tomorrow.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

We will have some more snow and eventually very cold temperatures during night time (-8 C, -10 C).

Sissi hat gesagt…

The train station looks very beautiful and the restaurant... at least I don't have to put down the name; so easy to remember! Thank you for the recommendation (I still hope going to Germany before I die).
You know, I have ruined a pair of shoes during a rain storm in Tokyo....
Today was the first warm spring day. The last day I wore winter coat (and was too hot). I have also sown lots of seeds on the balcony today.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Sissi: I am so envious. We have clear blue sky and looking out the window it feels so charming after the longest and darkest winter since ever, but it is all an illusion. There is a deep freezing stormy wind right out from hell out there. Went to the bakery yesterday and I had to cry because it was so cold, my eyes snd nose got runny - some sort of polar epedition experience. I am still wearing my long down jacket.