Montag, 18. März 2013

Soft whole wheat and mushooms - 15-minute dish

Today I had to face a quite unpleasant session at my dentist's.  Therefore I arrived at home in the late afternoon after a long day: first office, then dentist. The only thing I had eaten so long was a small sandwich early in the morning. I was really famished. What to do what to do. There was a big portion of yesterdays Sechuan beef bowl in the fridge with lots of peanuts and chili, but chili is no good whenever it meets a freshly sewed wound and peanuts crumbs either. Had this once, not gonna make the same mistake twice. So husband willhave to take care of the beef bowl, I had to find something else: nothing hard to chew, no unpleasant crumbs, not sticky and no agressive spices, no fat (I am on diet) please and reallyquickly done.
Finally I decided on this dish:
Steamed soft wheat with mushrooms and peas. I just invented it (laugh).


First I boiled up 1 liter water (salted) and filled in 1 portion of preprocessed wheat (Ebly: the wheat grains are steamed in their peel, dried, peeled and pressed, good amount of minerals and fibres) - it came along in a plastic cooking bagwhich is very convenient. Just put the bag in the boiling water and let simmer on medium high heat for 10 minutes (1/2 bag = 1 portion has about 200 kcal).
Meanwhile I put one cup of frozen young green peas and 250 g frozen mixed mushrooms in a pan with 1 tablespoon sake, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and very little water. I let this simmer on high heat for 7 minutes and added 1 generous teaspoon miso paste and 1 big sping onion, sliced finely and stirred well. Turned off the heat and the wheat was done too. I just put the drained and plummed wheat grains to the pan and tossed well, adjusted the seasoning with a little salt. I ate one part and will have another part tomorrow.
Doesn't sound very elaborate or fine but it tasted very good.


Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I hope your wound will heal quickly and you will be able to eat anything you wish. I hate going to the dentist... a yearly visit is waiting for me alas...
I have never cooked wheat but your salad sounds tasty and original.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I hope your wound will heal quickly and you will be able to eat anything you wish. I hate going to the dentist... a yearly visit is waiting for me alas...
I have never cooked wheat but your salad sounds tasty and original.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I did some googling on Ebly. So, it's made from durum wheat? Sounds good!