Donnerstag, 14. März 2013

Potato-crusted salmon

Today I made salmon. Quite easy and filling.
The 2 salmon pieces (170 g each without skin and bones) are covered with a crust made of mashed potatoes and herbs. As sides there are oven grilled cherry tomatoes with spinach.

 

First I boiled 5 medium small floury potatoes, peeled and mashed them.
I added a small amount of olive oil and skimmed milk - just a few tablespoons, until the mash became a little lighter and softer but not too soft and wet - it needs some standig. After 5 minutes cooling I added 1 egg and 50 g mixed herbs: minced parsley, chives, cress, dill, chervil - just a ready made frozen herb mix I had in storage and 3 dried tomatoes preserved in oil, drained, chopped.
For seasoning I used a good amount of salt, pepper and sweet chili powder. I covered the already salted fish with this paste evenly. With the back of a teaspoon I formed a scale pattern into the potato-crust and sprinkled some olive oil.

The fish was already placed on a baking dish (wiped with a little oil). Around the fish I put some halved cherry tomatoes (about 10 tomatoes) sprinkled with salt and pepper.

The fish went into the oven at 190 C for 15 minutes, after 15 minutes I put the power of the grill to the maximum and gave it a little golden roasting from above.

For spinach I roasted 1 finely chopped onion in a little oil (non stick pan) until the onion became translucent, added 1 good tablespoon pinenuts and 1 minced garlic glove and roasted until the pinenuts turned golden. I added the spinach leaves (600 g) and stirfried until the spinach was soft. I seasoned with a little soy sauce, salt, pepper and let the spinach juices reduce over high heat. Afterwards I added the oven roasted tomatoes and their juices.

For serving I placed the fish on spinach.


Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Looks tasty, but it makes me wonder. The potato crust is thicker than the salmon layer. Is there a version where the salmon layer is on top of the potato "crust"? (laugh)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

The potato crust was as thick as the salmon. It is just a view from above / bad angle, but yes, you could easily make a thinner layer of potao crust - adjust the baking time a bit. I am telling you a little secret: Fish is expensive while potatoes are not and now guess why I made a rather thick layer (laugh).

Sissi hat gesagt…

A very original and delicious-looking dish. I have never thought of preparing fish like this. My husband who is a big fan of both salmon and potatoes would love it.