Dienstag, 12. März 2013

Lentil Soup

No spring awakening just deepest and ugliest winter around. Looking at the icicles growing in my Rhododendron I decided to make a one pot dish: Lentil soup, rich and warming.


Actually the icicle stream stretches from the roof of my house down to the ground

Lentil Soup is a traditional german dish. There exists a huge difference between southern german and the rest of germany lentil soup. The southern comes with noodles, the rest with potatoes. Of course I am a fan of the noodle lentil soup, no potatoes please...
I had to make some minor adjustments caused by a storage problem: Usually I would put some Wieners into the soup, but today I had another type of sausage in storage: polish Kabanos and no Wieners - hard to tell which one tastes better. And I always put lots of other vegetables into the soup to enrich it with some vitamins. So if you are looking for the very classical version, try to find another recipe, there should be tons.
This is how my lentil soup looked:


1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 red bellpepper, diced
1 big red onion, diced
100 g bacon, diced
1 small kabanos sliced (usually 1-2 Wieners for each serving)
100 g dried Spaetzle (southern german noodles)
1 can small lentils (800 g with liquid) / usually I am soaking and cooking 1 cup dried small green french lentils instead, but it is a weekday and the decision to make lentil soup was kind of spontaneous...
125 ml vegetable broth
good pinch salt
black pepper, freshly ground (lots)
pinch mayoram, thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
dash worcester sauce
pinch chiliflakes
2 tablespoons elderberry-balsamico (very sweet dark vinegar made by my mom)
oil

First I roasted the bacon with the diced or finely sliced vegetables in very little oil, until the onion became translucent, then I added the lentils, their liquid and broth. I adjusted the seasoning with salt and spices, herbs and let this simmer, covered over low heat, until the vegetables were soft (15 minutes). I added the sliced sausage and let this sit without heat until the noodles were cooked (12 minutes).
I added the drained noodles to the soup, stirred and adjusted the seasoning with elderberry-balsamico and salt.

So, nothing special, just a soup.




Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for showing us another traditional German dish!

Sounds very special to me. Lentils are almost unheard of in Japan, so is lentil soup...

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Lentils and chopsticks don't go together well...

Sissi hat gesagt…

I love lentil soup and if it's with sausage or bacon, it's even better. The addition of noodles looks very unusual for me (potatoes too because I have never added anything and had it with bread). Kabanosy it my favourite Polish sausage for snacking, but I'm surprised you have found "small" ones because they are usually very long. My favourite are the very very dry ones... Strangely I have seen them cooked, only served as snacks.